Support Board In Carved Cake?

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 28 May 2009 , 2:13pm by cherrycakes

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:05am
post #1 of 5

I am going to "attempt" to make a 3-D motorcycle cake today and need some advice from the carving experts. The instructions call for a 1/2 sheet divided into 1/3's and stacked. This will make the uncarved cake about 6X12X6" high. I'm wondering if I need to dowel and cardboard the top layer for support?? My issue is when I go to carve it, won't the board get in the way?? Or should I cut the board much smaller than the top layer to make up for that?

4 replies
AfordRN Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:07am
post #2 of 5

Here is a picture of the cake.
LL

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 5

Three million dollar question. I think I would carve the cake and then cut the board by laying your carved layer and tracing around, in order to get correct size. You can precut it smaller than you think the cake will be, but if it ends up not being the right size, you have to either cut it while stacked with exacto or take apart and cut it that way. I ran into this problem with the Colette Peters cake (in my photos), that I had to do for a wedding. I cut the board first smaller than I thought the cake would be and ending up having to carve more cake than I thought, it was a hassle. I am sure some one else on here will have better advice, there is a definite learning curve there.

AfordRN Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 5

Good idea! The more I look at the picture, the bigger the knot in my stomach! I hope I can get it to look something like a bike!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 5

I am making a train cake this weekend and each car will measure 15" long x 3" wide x 5 inches tall. I will do a limited amount of carving but Doug on CC told me I wouldn't need to dowel or put an extra board in because I'm covering it in fondant. He said to just make sure the bottom cake board is securly anchored onto the large board. Since my dimensions are similar to yours I thought I would let you know what advice Doug gave me. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%