Viking Vs Ka..which One???

Decorating By umgrzfn Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 2:20am by tracycakes

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:56am
post #1 of 47

I'm going to be buying either a Viking, or KA. Here's what I've found in my research (I'm sure you all know what KA has and can offer). The Viking's 7qt is 1000 watts priced at 549. The KA 550 watts 600series is priced at around 400-500. The Viking has all the attachments that the KA does. Here's the differences: The 600series KA doesn't have a tilt head and I also cannot find it in the 7qt. The head on the Viking is spring loaded so if it slips out of your hand, it won't "slam" down. The Viking has a special attachment on the top of it that can have a viking blender attached. The mixer and the blender can be ran at the same time (not sure why you would need to do this, but anywhoo), you can also by a "food processor" to attach to the top of it. If you run them both at the same time, the watts are split between the two items. The Viking has an extra long cord, wheels, and is ALL stainless steel. They back the motor for life. It has an automatic shut off incase the motor gets to warm, it will automatically shut off (sorry, probably self explanatory icon_rolleyes.gif ). It also has wheels to move easily. [size=18]IF ANYONE CAN HELP AND GIVE SOME INPUT, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO SO!! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE A VIKING OR HAVE DEALT WITH ONE AND A KA!!!!!!!![/size]

46 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:15am
post #2 of 47

One problem with KA is that sometimes you will get some type of oil leak in the attachment area. That happend to me and my KA broke. Now I have nothing but I would still get a new KA.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:28am
post #3 of 47

30 years ago I traded in a beautiful ring my boyfriend bought for me for my first KA (He turned into my husband!). That was the small tilt head one. Then, needing a larger KA22 years ago, I got the large 'no tilt' head one now known as the Artisan. I have NEVER had a problem with mine. The smaller one has been put away for one of my kids. I use mine at least every day for something! Never had a problem or any oil leaks as the previous poster said. I love it. KA stands behind their products so much so that I even bought a KA frig and dishwasher. I'm sure you will figure it out, but IMO, I love KA!

One thought to check out though, I heard KA is NOT made by Hobart now. Not sure though.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:29am
post #4 of 47

I have never used a viking mixer but it sounds pretty good from what your describing.

For me though I am a Kitchen Aid kinda gal...I love my KA and just upgraded thanks to DH from the 4.5qt Artisan w/tilt head to the 6qt. 575 watt pro series KA with the crank handle.

My sister has my fathers KA that he used as a professional chef purchased back in late 60's over 40 years ago and it has NEVER broken down or given anyone a problem.

It's definitely not the prettiest to look at like newer models but works like a dream!

I swear by it and will always go KA...HTH

Miss Lizzy

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:33am
post #5 of 47

Thanks all for the info. Lizzy, what do you think of the "crank handle". That was the only thing that turned me away from the KA. My mom has an older one and doesn't have the tilt head. I was over there a couple weeks ago and it was such a pain in the A@# to have to lower the bowl, try to get in there to scrape it, etc. Please give me your opinion. Thanks much!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:38am
post #6 of 47

I'm going to jump in here again.....
the crank handle. Mine isn't the pretty new crank handle like they are now.
Mine is just a handle but I LOVE it!!

For the main reason......when I'm making frosting......
I turn the KA on with the bowl lowered. You know how powered sugar blows everywhere? Well, starting with the bowl on the base, then SLOWLY raising the bowl up, using the crank handle, the beater mixes the sugar slowly and without blowing it everywhere! Then I lock it in place and continue beating it. No mess and perfect everytime!

So call me a 'cranky' lady! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:39am
post #7 of 47

I have never used Viking either, but I love my KA!

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:45am
post #8 of 47

VERY good point "cranky" icon_wink.gif I never thought of that! It looks like everyone is 100% KA!!!! Here's another questions, does 575 pro series not go bigger then 6.5 qt? How much cake batter can you do? Is it big enough to just do a very small business out of my home with?

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 47

I have a KA and love it, but I do have the oil leak that RylanTy talked about. So far it still works great and I've had it for several years. I just have to wipe up a drop of oil now and then (doesn't get in the food or anything like that). That Viking sounds awesome, though.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 47

Do a search for that specific model KA. Several members here have had two or three replaced by KA for various issues (oil leaking, motor burning out, etc.) and gave up.

KA of today is NOT the same quality as the KAs of decades past. Don't get me wrong, the one my DH and I received as an engagement present in 2006 works perfectly, but it's not the same model (the Pro 600).

Good luck!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 47

Thanks emrldsky. Do you think they'd replace one that's at LEAST five years old (probably 7 or icon_cool.gif? I don't have the receipt anymore, and like I said, it still works. Still, it does bug me that it leaks. In a recent move from one home to another it fell over and a bunch of oil leaked out. Good thing there was a plastic mat under it or it would have ruined my car!

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 47

I own a 30 yr old KA with the crank handle (bought a yard sale about 6 years ago); a Magic Mill by Electrolux, and 2 Bosch mixers; oh and a 20 qt Univex mixer. I use them all for different size projects. When the KA goes. and its getting there, I will replace it with either a Viking or Cuisinart. Personally, I feel the European mixers offer a better value for the money.

umgrzfn Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #13 of 47

You all of brought up GREAT points. I'm a little stressed over this. This is a $500.00+ machine and if I don't like it, whichever one I buy, I'm pretty much stuck with it. I just wish I could find someone that has used the Viking to get some of their input! Of course the store selling it is going to give it HUGE ratings! This is such a major thing right now for us money wise, I don't want to make the wrong choice!!!!! icon_cry.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

Thanks emrldsky. Do you think they'd replace one that's at LEAST five years old (probably 7 or icon_cool.gif? I don't have the receipt anymore, and like I said, it still works. Still, it does bug me that it leaks. In a recent move from one home to another it fell over and a bunch of oil leaked out. Good thing there was a plastic mat under it or it would have ruined my car!

I'm not sure, I think it would depend on the warranty. You could always call KA and inquire. *shrug*

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #15 of 47

I will be watching this tread too...

umgrzfn there is also a 7qt cuisinart that is VERY similar to the Viking... it has a timer! and a soft start feature...

I need to upgrade from my 4.5 and I really like the tilt head feature. Also, is 1.5 qts really a huge upgrade? I want to go to the 6qt because I love my KA... but want bigger....

One thing I read is that even tho the KA is 575 watts... you would think the Viking at 1000watts is better, that some machines tell you what it can take in... not what it actually puts out. no clue how tell.

I am going to compare the Viking and Cuisinart.... and maybe that will help you?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #16 of 47

So a found a great (and by great I mean informative too!!!) on the Cuisinart (5.5 qt)

from cooking.com

http://forums.cooking.com/showthread.php?t=1632&highlight=Cuisinart+stand+mixer

Preface:

Today's stand mixers seem to all come with a wattage rating ranging anywhere from 250 watts all the way up to 1000 watts. This wattage rating means nothing as far as performance is concerned. It is just an indication of how much power is going into the unit, not how much horsepower is being produced. So a stand mixer purchase should be based on performance not wattage.

Features:

I have tested the 800 watt 5.5 quart Cuisinart stand mixer. It is a planetary action mixer, meaning the beater revolves around the bowl. The mixer comes with a paddle, whisk and dough hook, all which have a non-stick coating. They are inserted with a push and twist action. The two handled stainless bowl also is locked in place with a twist. There is a timer which will turn off the mixer after a set time. There is a fold button that, when pushed, will turn the paddle on the lowest speed for a second or two. The head is raised by a lever. When lowered the head will automatically lock in place. There are 12 speeds on the mixer, not 10 speeds like the Kitchenaid ( which actually turns out to be 6 speeds.) The mixer starts out slow and then increases in speed. This feature helps keep the contents from flying out of the bowl. A rubber disk sits under the bowl which helps with clean-up and bowl removal. The mixer has a removable lid which hides two accessory hubs. The third hub is hidden behind a small door on the front of the mixer. The mixer is started with a push of a button. The speeds are controlled by a rotating dial. There is also a built in auto-shutoff if the mixer gets too hot or is under too much stress. The mixer is approximately 13 inches high, 15 inches long and 8 inches wide without the bowl. The maximum capacity is 12 cups. It has a one piece plastic, snap-on splash guard. It comes with an instructional DVD. The available accessories are a meat grinder, food processor, juicer, blender and pasta maker.

Ingredients Tested:

1. 2 egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks
2. 7 egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks
3. 7 egg yolks beaten to the thick ribbon stage
4. 8 cups of oatmeal cookie dough
5. a quintuple (5) batch of stiff cookie dough
6. brioche made with 3/4 cup butter
7. brioche made with 1 pound of butter
8. a double batch of challah
9. 4 cups of pizza dough
10. whole grain sunflower-oatmeal bread
11. 8 cups chilled chocolate ganache
12. 1 pound of cream cheese
13. 1 cake mix
14. 1 brownie mix
15. 1 cup of butter, creamed
16 1 cup of whipping cream, whipped
17. buttercream frosting
18. meatloaf
19. chocolate souffle
20. blueberry muffins

The Results:

1. The 2 whites took two minutes to get stiff
2. 7 whites took 1-1/2 minutes to get stiff
3. 7 yolks took 5 minutes to get to the ribbon stage
4. The mixer showed no strain mixing 8 cups of oatmeal cookie dough
5. The five batches of stiff cookie dough were handled with ease
6. The 3/4 cup butter brioche dough was a breeze.
7. The 1 lb. of butter brioche was kneaded 15 minutes with the machine getting warm but showing no distress. The head did rattle a little and the was a little shimmy on the counter.
8. The challah was also kneaded 15 minutes. The machine got warm. The head rattled a bit and there was minor movement of the base
9. The pizza dough was no problem for the mixer
10. The whole grain sunflower oatmeal bread gave me a problem. The mixer was able to handle the heavy dough but the dough crept up the dough hook, over the top of the hook and up into the works of the machine. the mixer had to be stopped every 20 seconds to scrape down the dough. I sprayed Pam on the hook and collar but it had no effect. I finally had to divide the dough in half and knead each half separately. The dough stopped crawling up the hook. Curious as to whether this would happen in the Cuisinart 7 quart mixer, I took a batch of the same dough to Williams-Sonoma and gave it a try on their 7 qt. Cuisinart. There was no crawling of the dough up the dough hook. The paddle, whisk and dough hook are much larger than the 5 quart's so I believe the dough hook size made the difference.
11. It took 30 seconds to whip chilled ganache fluffy
12. The cream cheese took about a minute to get fluffy
13. The cake mix was no strain to the mixer
14. The brownie mix was also no strain on the mixer
15. The 1 cup of butter did not get as fluffy as butter whipped in the Kitchenaid. It is because the Cuisinart has a wider bowl
16. The cream got stiff within a couple of minutes
17. The buttercream frosting was as fluffy as the batch made in the Kitchenaid
18. The fold feature was used on the meatloaf producing a light loaf when baked
19. I used the fold feature on the egg whites but found I still had to take a few swipes of my own to incorporate all of the chocolate
20. The fold feature worked well in preventing the blueberries from turning the batter blue

Pros:

The mixer performed beautifully with everything except for the whole grain bread.
The fold button is a nice addition.
The timer is a great addition. It lets you walk away from the job and will turn off when set.
The mixer has a wide variety of extra attachments (purchased separately)
The mixer will fit UNDER most kitchen cupboards.
The mixer is no louder than the Kitchenaid.
The mixer does not move across the counter like the Kitchenaid when mixing heavy dough.
The built-in shutoff will save your mixer from burning out.
The mixer has 12 real speeds.
The mixer starts out slow, then speeds up.
The bottom of the mixer is easier to clean with the removable rubber disk.
The mixer has the superior planetary action movement.
The bowl has 2 handles for ease in removal.
The splash guard is one piece
It has an instructional DVD.
Easy to clean.
It was able to handle 15 minutes of heavy duty kneading without showing any strain or shutting off.
It has an automatic head lock.

Cons:

The head rattles at higher mixing speeds.
I don't know how long the plastic collar on the dough hook will last.
Some types of bread dough will crawl up the dough hook.
The mixer is top heavy and when lifting the head the base can lift off the counter.
The bowl still has to be scraped down from time to time.
The mixer bowl is made in such a way that it collects water when placed in the dishwasher. You must empty it or risk slinging water across your kitchen.
I tried out the optional food processor attachment. It performed beautifully but was very loud.
Side handles make it difficult to hold bowl and scrap out, it needs a vertical handle like the KA...

Conclusion:

The Cuisinart stand mixer is a very fine machine. It does everything a Kitchenaid does and more. It is compact enough to fit under your upper cupboards. It has an attractive assortment of extra attachments and can handle just about everything you want it to do. It is perfect for the person who wants to mix up a batch of cookies, make cakes, knead a loaf of bread. For those of you who are serious bread makers or if you make multiple batches of food at a time, I would suggest purchasing the Cuisinart 7 quart mixer. I think it would suit your needs better. The 5 quart machine is plenty big and strong enough for the average cook.

-----------------

I have read that the whisk and beater sit far in the bowl, making ineffective for the upper part of the bowl, I personally think this is good--it will keep stuff in the bowl! Also seems to have a great (1 piece!!!) bowl guard. Plus, I would rather loose .5 qt on a 7... than a 6!

I have no intentions of making huge batches of bread dough, so the fact some people say it can't handle 4 loaves at a time is fine for me...

Some people suggest buying at a "real" store so if something goes wrong you can take it back... I am looking for a good price from a "real store right now.....

Dilliards, Bloomingdales, and Bed Bath and Beyond offer the 7 qt for $399

I don't know if the BB&B 20% coupon will work on it, but if so it would save $80.

Considering this thing was listed at over $700 at one time... and looks to be about $400 currently, I wonder if they are going to release a new model with upgrades? hmm.

Extra bowls (we ALL know how handy they are cost $99!) Though I searched, and if your willing to buy online can find them for $55...

Also, seems to be rebates out there for a free attachment.
LL

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #17 of 47

I just purchased the cuisinart 7 qt. got a great deal The prices are probably cheaper in the US I paid Cdn. $449.00 and it came with an extra 7qt mixing bowl and food processor as a bonus!
I love it!!!!!!!!!!! The timer is a nice feature and the fold setting is great too. thumbs_up.gif I love power and it has 1000 watts! I would definitely check it out.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #18 of 47

OP--sorry if I added another mixer to the mix.. (hehe)

phoufer.... I am glad you are happy! BUT 1000 Watts is what the machine takes in... not what it can put out! or at least so I have read.. a lot.

I am going to get the cuisinart as soon as I find a fantastic deal like you!!! for 50 bux more and the extra bowl its worth it! I have the huge 11 or 14 cup ( i can't remember) Cuisinart food processor and i LOVE it!

oh i just realized you said Cdn.. oh well icon_biggrin.gif still seems good icon_biggrin.gif

phoufer Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:42am
post #19 of 47

rocketgirl899 I think converted to US funds I paid $404 for it. Whether it takes in 1000 or puts it out I love big numbers lol. I got mine from Sears.
I am just happy to be able to do big batches of icing etc. icon_biggrin.gif and not having to use my microwave for a timer lol! I wish you luck finding a good deal.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:20am
post #20 of 47

I totally want to be able to do big batches of BC! I make a huge mess and I hate doing it 2-3 times EVERY time.

$404 is a steal for all that!

I like big numbers.. but i hate when companies are not clear in their advertisements about what it is.....

SO looking forward to the time (tho I don't know if I have ever really timed something in my KA)

tichay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tichay Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:38am
post #21 of 47

I received a 7 qt Viking stand mixer for my anniversary 3 yrs ago (so I'm not sure how much DH paid for it as he did the research and purchase w/o my knowledge) --- at first it was an adjustment to get used to but now ... I LOVE IT .... I just couldn't believe how much time I was wasting with my smaller mixer.

for instance:
I can mix up a 7 qt batch of Sugarshack's (Sharon Zambito) frosting with no problems icon_smile.gif
and
I can mix up a large batch of Earlene Moore's (Earlenescakes.com) white or chocolate cake mix with no issues icon_smile.gif
and
It whips up heavy cream very quickly and easily.

I love that the base stays on the counter when the head is tilted up.
The paddle turns in the opposite direction from the part where it attachs to the head. I don't have to scrape the sides down too much ... just a bit at the end. I can even put all the pieces in the diswasher when i'm done for the night ... no worries about rusting or the special coating falling off (since it is all stainless steel). And now you can find a new paddle that has "wings" on the sides to help with the scraping !!!! It's on the kitchen krafts website, and I'm note sure how much it will be ... but next payday I will be purchasing it to test it out icon_smile.gif

Cons - I did have to buy the pour shield separatly, icon_sad.gif but it was worth the cost. It helps when you are adding the powdered sugar into the bowl as Sharon describes too. The extra bowl was $65, again a bit much but well worth the extra cost when needing to mix up both chocolate and white cake without having to clean the bowl in between.

And all because I saw one on display at the kitchen store in Fredricksburg one weekend. I really hadn't been in the market for a new mixer but thanks to my DH, I got one (and yes, he "knows" that appliances as gifts to the wife on special occassions is not the accepted "norm" but he knew that I would never spend the money to purchase this for myself any other way).

I'm glad that he purchased the Viking over the KA --- my parents have been through at least 2 KA's (thinking they were both the 5qt models) over the last 5 years (keep in mind that they do more bread baking than cake baking/decorating). And the one they have now, shakes and rattles when it's being used (my dad tighens ups the screws every so often).

So yes, my vote is for the Viking over the KA ..
Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

phoufer Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:43am
post #22 of 47

I am lovin the 7 qt bowl. I feel like a big girl now! I noticed a difference in my buttercream too, not as many air bubbles. I'm hoping it was the new mixer and I am not just mesmerized by the shiny new machine! lol.

I had a 4.5 qt before and the kitchen was covered with powdered sugar after having to make each one separately. I also like the lever on the front of the machine to tilt the head back ( my other one had it on the back) kind of awkward to use(my fingers would slip off from all the ps on my hands) lol.
I don't time everything but it's nice to know I can!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:22am
post #23 of 47

tichay

I have the beater blade thing with the wings for my 4.5 KA... I like it for creaming butter and sugar and mixing cake batters......however, it does tend to splash up a bit at first (even on the lowest setting)

I don't like if for Sharons BC.. but I DO us it to mix the coffee creamer and shortening. after that I switch to the standard one. I just like it more.

as long as you are careful its a great product. Mine was 24.95.. but i think for your mixer it will be 39....

good luck!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:43am
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

Thanks all for the info. Lizzy, what do you think of the "crank handle". That was the only thing that turned me away from the KA. My mom has an older one and doesn't have the tilt head. I was over there a couple weeks ago and it was such a pain in the A@# to have to lower the bowl, try to get in there to scrape it, etc. Please give me your opinion. Thanks much!

After having and using the tilt head I have to admit the first couple of times I used the crank to a bit of getting used to.

But now I actually prefer the crank head. It is easier to add ingredients to the bowl and I find that if I have to scrape the bowl down I dont get batter all over my hands or knuckles.

Either way I love both the tilt and the crank as they both offer unique advantages to having tilt or crank. But looking at it now and having used the crank over the last several weeks I have to say I like the crank more each time I use it.

Regardless of what you purchase be it KA or Viking, get the one you know you will use and are comfortable with.

HTH...Miss Lizzy

mariej162 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariej162 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:12pm
post #25 of 47

I had the Viking 7 Quart shipped over from the US in February this year and love it. (I live in St Lucia, Caribbean) I use it almost every day for either mixing cake batter, cookies, icing, and fondant. I have not tried bread making yet.

Before this I have gone through 2 kenwood major. First one lasted about twelve years, second one just about 2 years.

tichay Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Quote:

RocketGirl wrote: I have the beater blade thing with the wings for my 4.5 KA... I like it for creaming butter and sugar and mixing cake batters......however, it does tend to splash up a bit at first (even on the lowest setting)

I don't like if for Sharons BC.. but I DO us it to mix the coffee creamer and shortening. after that I switch to the standard one. I just like it more.

as long as you are careful its a great product. Mine was 24.95.. but i think for your mixer it will be 39....

good luck!

Thanks for the extra info on this new blade .... good to know that it will do what the description says it will !!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:04pm
post #27 of 47

Hi,
I went from a hand mixer to a 7qt Cuisinart and I love it!!

I make a lot of triple batches of cake batter and frosting. I love the timer feature on it so great to be able to walk away. It also has a fold in feature that is handy as well.

I will be purchasing an extra bowl though--one doesn't seem like it's enough.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #28 of 47

Tichay: don't worry about if the mixer is an "accepted" type of gift - I would be absolutely delighted with that gift. My cake instructor told me she keeps asking for gift certificates, etc, that she can use to buy products for caking! For those of us who love caking, it's a new toy! Just like a lot of men love new tools for gifts. I have an old KA - small bowl capacity - and would love a gift of either the KA or the Viking - both have great features.

umgrzfn Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #29 of 47

WOW Rocketgirl899! Thank you for the experiment!!!!! AMAZING!!! Gosh, now I have three mixers to think about!! OMG..what to do...what to do!!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif And to mariej162 and tichay (sorry if I missed anyone) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for giving me some info from people who have the Viking! I was just talking to my hubby lastnight how I wanted to hear something from someone who has used the Viking!!!! Wow, KA, Cuisinart, Viking...hmmmmmm *sigh* Ok, I have TONS to think about and more research to do. I will be getting it the middle to end of next week. I will keep all posted on what I decide on. Ahhh Haaaa, I have the perfect idea...I will tell hubby to surprise me. Then I will get out of having to choose. EXCELLENT IDEA!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tichay Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #30 of 47

I agree .. it has been one of the best gifts he has given me over the last 16 years ... and I've had so much fun with it. I keep trying to find all kinds of reasons to bake/cake so that I can use it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%