Help With Chocolate Mmf!!!

Decorating By bakermommy4 Updated 28 May 2009 , 4:21pm by bakermommy4

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:59am
post #1 of 8

I love the taste of mmf and have worked with it before but never chocolate. I made a batch yesterday to work on a purse cake. Followed the recipe to the letter (got the recipe here) and it was not too pliable. I was very cracky...lol...cracky...but anyway, I've heard of adding crisco...poppin it in the micro. How can I avoid having to do any of that. I have to make another batch tomorrow to do the purse and want to know what can I do in the mixing process or what can I add to avoid this problem all together. I've got a deadline for Friday morning and I've got to get this right. Should I use the paddle attachment or the whip? Add crisco in the beginning or no...?? PLEASE HELP!!

7 replies
bakermommy4 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:18am
post #2 of 8

Help anyone...I'd take advice from a blind frog right about now.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:42am
post #3 of 8

i have made choc MMF before and i havn't had any problems so far. I knead the cocoa in with the icing sugar on the bench until it is either dark enough or tastes good. Just slowly add it in and it should be fine. Sorry i know that is prob no help but it's something lol

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:48am
post #4 of 8

does your recipe include glycerin?

This is what helps make it pliable

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:57am
post #5 of 8

There is a recipe on here called Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate MMF....it tastes just like a Tootsie Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have made it before and it is WONDERFUL!!!!!! It didn't crack, it was very pliable, and I am planning on using it again for a cake this weekend!!!
Here's the recipe:

Rhond'as Ultimate Chocolate MMF
Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time:
Category: Pound Cakes, Sponge Cakes, White Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Thanksgiving Cakes, Strawberry Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

Introduction
This is an awesome chocolate mmf that actually tastes chocolate. It's also great for making black because its already dark and you need very little to get it black.
Ingredients
15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 3/4 C dutch processed (dark) cocoa
6 C confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

** I have found that I have to use less sugar because of the cocoa.
Directions
Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, cocoa, lemon juice, salt and extract. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

HTH!!!!!!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 8

I just add candy melts to my melted marshmallows before adding ps. Works great for me! icon_smile.gif Chocolate chips work good too.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 8

That happen to me with before, now I do not add all the sugar that the recipe calls, the last pound I just add little by little untill I get the consistency I like thumbs_up.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 8

Wow, thanks everyone. Smartin, the 1/2 cup of Crisco is for greasing everything down and NOT put inside of the mixture I take it. Or does it go into the mix somewhere?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%