Omg! I Feel Terrible! This Has Never Happened Before!

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 28 May 2009 , 7:25pm by bakingatthebeach

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 5

Hey guys! Ok, I feel like quiting right now!!!!!!I know that we all learn from our mistakes but I honestly feel so bad right now that I just want to crawl under a rock and hide! I did a 3 tier wedding cake for 150 people this weekend. It was chocolate on chocolate and I only got 3 hours sleep perfecting it. I also drove almost an HOUR to drop it off which totally added to my exhaustion, not to mention I hit every pothole in america along the way and went to every construction sited road there was in the city! Anyhoo, I get to the reception site with the cake in one piece and all, set up with no problem and even had the b/g parents admiring it alongside the grandma. I took a few photos on my phone because my battery died in the camera. The guy from the country club took the cake out of my car and jiggled it a bit taking it out, which truly made me nervous, but nevertheless, it seemed to be ok. When I left it was symetrical and fine. I got a call from the groom that the cake began to lean and the bride was not happy. Everyone else said it was nice including the groom but she took issue with it. He says it was leaning in the back and would like to work something out asap so his bride can be happy. I totally understood, and explained apologetically that when I got there it was fine and also told him of the chain of events that may have contributed. None the less I will be out of some money because I plan to refund some of it. I feel so bad guys, that I don't even feel like doing weddings anymore. This is only the 2nd person to ever complain about a cake from me out of the 8years I've been doing this,but it feels like the millionth if that makes any sense. Oh, the bride also left the wrong flowers to put on the cake, and I was gracious enough to use some of my own upcoming wedding flowers to place on the cake, so she would have no worries. Man, I just feel terrible. Thanks for reading guys

4 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 5

Well I am sorry that happened! I know all too well what it's like to have a cake "fail"......I am curious, however. Was the cake sturdy and intact when you placed it one the table? Was it jiggled and unstable at that point so time was just a factor to it's leaning or was it, perhaps, another issue.

I am a bit baffled as to what to do when things like this happen. If the cake is marvy and sturdy and then they call an hour later to say it is leaning, is it us or somebody who hit the table? I'm not sure...... I agree the cake should be constructed to last but it's sooo hard to determine the chain of events once it's been dropped off. Perhaps some of the more experienced wedding cake decorators will come along with a standard of practice....

Best of luck to you and don't let this get you down!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for you kind words. The cake was intact when I left the venue. I think from now on, Im going to have someone sign for the cake and it will state that once its signed Im not liable for any damages once I leave.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 5

Why do you need to refund money? Did the cake fall? If the only issue was that it was leaning to the back then there's no need to refund anything. Offer a discount on a future cake if need be but that's it.
And having a sign off is a goo idea.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 5

I know exactly how you are feeling. I had the top tier slide off of one of my wedding cakes (4 tiered with purple flowers in my pics). The problem was, the reception hall faced the beach, the room was 85 degrees (a/c not on and locked plastic cover over controls so couldnt lower it), it stayed up for 6 hours prior to it falling. While I was stacking it (last time I use dowels, SPS all the way now!) icing was melting everywhere. So whether the table was bumped or the room temp aided in the slide I dont know, but the fact is you are not responsible for the cake after you drop it off. Any staff can move the table or bump the table while they are setting up for the reception. I agree with offering a discount on a future cake if it will make you feel better ( the bride who I did the cake for asked me to do her baby shower cake and I didnt even offer a discount, although I did it at cost because it made me feel better). There are alot of stories on here on how brides will do anything to get refunds, keep from paying, or get partial refunds. Point is, you delivered a cake that was fine when it got there, somebody else must of messed with it after you left, not your fault.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%