Need Your Advice... Large Quantity Cupcakes

Baking By shaonh Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm by mombabytiger

shaonh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaonh Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 13

Hey guys,

I need some advice so here goes...

I have to make about 80 cupcakes for a Thursday morning delivery. I've made cakes before and small quantity cupcakes. But i'm not sure about 80! It's seems like a lot to me.

Anyway, what i need help with is the time lines, when should i start baking? how should i store them before icing them? I'll most likely be icing the cupcakes the night before.

Usually when i make a cake, i freeze the layers. I take them out the night before or sometimes the same night that i would be filling and icing them. I'm not sure if the same rules apply to cupcakes! :S Also.. i don't have enough freezer space for 80 cupcakes!

Any advice would be greatly apprciated!

Thanks,
Shaon

12 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaonh

Hey guys,
Welcome to CC shaonh

I need some advice so here goes...

I have to make about 80 cupcakes for a Thursday morning delivery. I've made cakes before and small quantity cupcakes. But i'm not sure about 80! It's seems like a lot to me.
Break it down and its just over 6 Dozen - doesn't sound so icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif when you think of it like that icon_wink.gif

Anyway, what i need help with is the time lines, when should i start baking? how should i store them before icing them? I'll most likely be icing the cupcakes the night before.

Usually when i make a cake, i freeze the layers. I take them out the night before or sometimes the same night that i would be filling and icing them. I'm not sure if the same rules apply to cupcakes! :S Also.. i don't have enough freezer space for 80 cupcakes!

Can yopu make say 3 dozen a week or so before and freeze them - and then make another 3.6 dozen the Tuesday night before you need them?

If so - Take the ones out of the freezer on the Tusday - decorate them
Then decorate the freshly made ones on the Wednesday night -
Once decorated - store them all in containers - and they will be just fine for the Thursday morning.

Any advice would be greatly apprciated!
It might seem daunting - but break it down into 2 lots and it doesn't seem such a huge task for you.
Might as well bake in two lots - that way your only turning the oven on twice - mixing batter twice and tidying up the kitchen twice - icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif
Best of luck -
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Shaon

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 13

I use foil cupcake liners, then cover them individually with plastic wrap-don't overbake. Then ice them the night before. Bake Tuesday, ice Wed., no need to refridge if you cover them.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 13

80 cupcakes may seem like a lot but it really shouldn't be too bad. A normal oven should be able to hold 4 tins at a time (2 on each rack) and they each hold 12 cupcakes. If you do the 4 tins two times through that's 96 cupcakes. Depending on how long it takes you to mix up your batter it should only take a few hours at most. I would bake the night before and let them cool overnight then decorate in the morning. That is if your decoration is not too elaborate. I am assuming here that you are just piping some icing on them. Here is something I learned if you are just piping icing on them: Put them in the cake box you will be transporting in before you pipe onto them. That way, you can make sure to leave enough room on the edges so that they won't get messed up if they touch each other. You can also put some of that non-slip shelf liner in the bottom of the cake box to help keep them from sliding. Sorry if this is all a bit jumbled. I am on some pretty gnarly painkillers for a slipped disc in my neck and I am in a bit of lala land! HTH and good luck!

shaonh Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks guys... yes 80 does sound so bad when you guys put it that way. I think i'm going to clean out my freezer and do the cakes in two batches!

Thanks for you advice. I'll report back on my experience!!! icon_smile.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 13

I second the non slip paper. I used material that you would use to line shelves--the real tacky stuff and it worked great. I'll definately do that again when I have to bring cupcakes to an event.

beldandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beldandy Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #7 of 13

I would suggest you to use souffle cup to replace normal cup cake pans. Just line your paper liner inside the cup and put the cup onto large baking tins. This way you can bake quite a lot at one go. I do this when i got large order, say 1000 last month! very easy and save a lot of time. good luck!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:31am
post #8 of 13

I did 300 cupcakes last month and I can only put 2 tins in my oven. I just worked on them the entire day and baked them all in one day. I let them cool over night and frosted the next day. Then I put them in cupcake holders and they were good to go. I have 4 tins and while 2 were baking I would be filling the next 2 to go in the oven as soon as the ones in there was done. It is definitly doable. I thought I would have to freeze them which I did not want to do but I didn't.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:03am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

I did 300 cupcakes last month and I can only put 2 tins in my oven. I just worked on them the entire day and baked them all in one day. I let them cool over night and frosted the next day. Then I put them in cupcake holders and they were good to go. I have 4 tins and while 2 were baking I would be filling the next 2 to go in the oven as soon as the ones in there was done. It is definitly doable. I thought I would have to freeze them which I did not want to do but I didn't.

I do exactly the same! I can fit 4 trays in my oven, so it goes a bit faster with the baking. Once you get into the rythem the icing goes very fast!

shaonh Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 13

Ok, so i delivered the cupcakes today (it's for work)! OMG... making 80 was like nothing! icon_smile.gif I see what you guys mean. Thanks for all your tips!!! I made 2 dozen strawberry, 2 dozen lime and 4 dozen chocolate. I filled them each with their own filling and iced them.

I work full-time and on weekdays i get approximately 4-5hours to myself and i have a small kitchen so i do things in small batches. I started a few weeks early, baked a dozen or two at a time and froze them. Two nights ago i took the little cakes out of the freezer and into the fridge. Last night i cored, filled and iced them. My sister did assist me last night so it went a bit faster!

Also have to thank the person who posted a tip to use glad press & seal to wrap hot cakes and put them in the freezer. I've been doing this lately and i have had no problem with the cakes drying out or tasting off.

I think i have cupcake fever now! It was just too much fun making them. Now my mind is churning for next month's cakes! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 13

It's fun to read the excitement in your post! Congrats on being bitten by the cake bug!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 13

LOL that's great. Haven't tried the press and seal trick yet but am tempted. I am a press and seal junkie anyway.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 13

To Jimandmollie - I hope your neck feels better soon!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%