Let's Redo This....

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 28 May 2009 , 2:50pm by alvarezmom

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 17

I've been asked to make this cake for this Sunday...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1285400

My only dilema is the mother-to-be is having one boy and one girl. I plan on changing the blankets so one is pink. What base color would you make the cake? I was thinking a yellow? And having the writing in white, but then that leaves the border???

16 replies
tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 17

I think the yellow would be cute for the cake but I think I would leave the border white and change the color of the writing. Maybe pink and blue or a green? I just worry that white writing wouldn't show up enough against the yellow background...just a thought though! Good luck!

alvarezmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 17

Yes, that's what I was thinking...what if I just had a darker yellow for the writing then? Like the blues in the picture?

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 17

I am not sure if that would work with yellow - it may still be too light or not enough of a contrast. I would make a tiny bit of test icing and see what it looks like...

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 17

I'm sorry, but I have just never been a fan of headless babies stuck in cakes.

That being said icon_biggrin.gif, I think doing a sky blue cake with a darker blue blanket and a pink blanket (not a really light baby pink, but more of a rose pink) would be lovely.

Except for those poor headless babies... ImageImageImage

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 17

if you do a light yellow on the base w/ light green writing and white border...or stripe the border w/ the pink and blue...

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 17

Why don't you ask the client what color they want the cake to be.

BTW...........when do those poor babies come up for air? icon_lol.gif Kiddin!!

alvarezmom Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 17

LOL I would so rather do a headless baby stuck in cake then one with a head and then have to cut into it! icon_eek.gif I did ask the client and she had no idea. They dont even have a theme for the shower. It's al ast minute thing for her neice (husband's side). She's in charge of the cake and she liked that cake, but doesnt really care about the base color. She did mention yellow for a base color, but said it was up to me.

The cake isnt due until Sunday so I have a couple of more days to play around with colors.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 17

I guess I'm just boring, but I'd leave it white.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 17

I agree with jamm, I would leave the cake white also and use pink and blue for the blankets. Then you can add an alternate color for the border or use pink on top border and blue around the bottom.

firelegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firelegs Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 17

I would leave it white as well. IMO, I think it would be too much color and too distracting to add either a new base color or border color.

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 17

I with leaving it white and then you can do pink and blue blankets, writing and accents. Make sure to post a picture, good luck!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 17

@stephi1, firelegs, mariu -

Well, I guess we can be boring together. icon_lol.gif

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 17

i would do lavender and light green...they complement very well.

Do the cake white (or very light yellow and not bright).
do one baby with blue, the other with pink
do the boarder in light lavender
writing in light green.

that would also tie in the colors of the teething toy, but i would keep those the darker colors as they are on the original cake.

alvarezmom Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #15 of 17

I would like to leave it white as well. I just thought maybe it needed some color besides the pink and white.

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #16 of 17

What if you do the background blue, as on the pictured cake, then do the writing in pink? With the one blue and one pink blanket. You could leave the borders white then. but the whole cake wouldn't have to be white.

alvarezmom Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeCake07

i would do lavender and light green...they complement very well.

Do the cake white (or very light yellow and not bright).
do one baby with blue, the other with pink
do the boarder in light lavender
writing in light green.

that would also tie in the colors of the teething toy, but i would keep those the darker colors as they are on the original cake.

That sounds very nice! I just did a dark lavender cake for my sister n law--yesterday. I really liked the color.

Thanks for the color idea Cake07

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%