How Do I Glue A Ribbon(Satin) To The Sides Of A Fondant Cake

Decorating By Karenreg Updated 27 May 2009 , 10:48pm by Rylan

Karenreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenreg Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 10

I have noticed many pple wrapping a satin Ribbon around a fondant cake.I'd like to know how they glue it. Thanks in advance.

9 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 10

I prefer to not use fabric ribbon, but on the rare occasions I've had to, I simply wrap it around and secure it to the cake with a pearl-head straight pin. You can also use royal icing.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 10

Icing, or you can use a little water. Water will make the fondant sticky and will hold the ribbon to it. That is what I did for my daughters sweet 16 cake.
HTH

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 10

Hi, there are few ways to do it. You can wet the ribbon and take the excess water off and wrap it around the cake. Make sure the colour doesn't bleed before you attach it. I haven't tried this method though.

The other thing that you can do is, take one end of the ribbon and keep it in position and insert a pin just to hold it and put a little piece of double sided sticky tape on the edge of the ribbon and take the other end of the ribbon around the cake and stick that on the tape and take the pin out. (Hope it make sence)

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Karenreg Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks every1 for ur prompt response.

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 10

ok...here's another question for ribbon lovers (which I happen to be from time to time!) Sorry Karen, I hope I'm hijacking your thread?!

How do you attach a satin ribbon to BC? I just recently heard that you attach the ribbon to some wax/parchment paper cut to size to make it food safe; and them attach that to the cake...so is this why I always see beautiful ribbons WITHOUT the horrifying wet look (oils from the BC)? I've tried to do this a few times, but it DID NOT look like the others I see here on CC... icon_redface.gif

Thanks Karen, for letting me 'butt' in!! icon_lol.gif

klat7292 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klat7292

ok...here's another question for ribbon lovers (which I happen to be from time to time!) Sorry Karen, I hope I'm hijacking your thread?!

How do you attach a satin ribbon to BC? I just recently heard that you attach the ribbon to some wax/parchment paper cut to size to make it food safe; and them attach that to the cake...so is this why I always see beautiful ribbons WITHOUT the horrifying wet look (oils from the BC)? I've tried to do this a few times, but it DID NOT look like the others I see here on CC... icon_redface.gif

Thanks Karen, for letting me 'butt' in!! icon_lol.gif

** I hope I'm NOT hijacking your thread** SORRY icon_rolleyes.gif

Karenreg Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 10

Not a problem klat7292.Its ok, infact its good u asked this question, I never thot i cud use ribbon on BC too. If some1 provides a solutn to ur Questn it wud be of gr8 help 2 me as well icon_smile.gif

klat7292 Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

Now, let's hope someone answers our questions! icon_lol.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 10

I wouldn't suggest using a pin for a cake. It's dangerous.

I would suggest you just overlap the ribbon a bit (at the ends) and then use double sided tape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%