Can I Put A Fbct On A Cake Iced With (Gulp) Canned Icing?

Decorating By KristinAnn Updated 27 May 2009 , 4:29pm by TantalizingTreats

KristinAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristinAnn Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for my friend's daughter's birthday. She wants Elmo on the cake. The problem is she really wants me to use store-bought, canned chocolate icing (with chocolate chips in it!), because it's her favorite. How in the world can I put Elmo on a cake iced in that?? I don't think I can pipe Elmo's face in BC on top of that soft canned icing -- I'm imagining it would be all smooshy (for lack of a better word) and the BC wouldn't stick cleanly, if you know what I mean. And I can't correct a mistake like I can if I pipe on a nicely crusted BC base.

So I was wondering if a FBCT was the answer. Can I do this ahead of time and just lay it on top of the chocolate icing? Or would it get mushy?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Kristin

4 replies
TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 5

what do you think about making elmo out of melted chocolate, it might work a little better... same rules apply as a FBCT. except you are making the plaque just like coloring a picture. use wax paper and follow your picture... let set to dry for 24 hours. no freezing.

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 5

i have thickened canned icing w/ powdered sugar before - a cup or so, sifted, then mixed in. it makes it thicker and easier to work w/, and it will crust up better. see the brown spotted dog in my gallery - he was done out of thickened canned icing!

(oh, snap - my secret is out - lol)

KristinAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristinAnn Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 5

I've never made a chocolate plaque, but that's a good idea. How do I do it? Is it like making a color flow piece?

Thanks,
Kristin

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 5

yes, exactly like that. but i find it stronger.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%