How To Do This Border!?!?

Decorating By sugarmamma03 Updated 28 May 2009 , 2:46am by Cakepro

sugarmamma03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmamma03 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 9

This may seem like a really easy question, but how do I duplicate the border on this wedding cake?
Is it fondant, gumpaste or ribbon? If its one of the first two, how do you make the strip long enough to go around a large cake?
Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks! icon_smile.gif
LL

8 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 9

It looks like fondant ribbon to me. I have a large island in my kitchen, so I roll it out on that.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 9

I googled the cake in it said white ribbon & white flower.

hth

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 9

Actually you can buy ready to roll fondant ribbon I believe. I think I've seen it somewhere. But if I were you, I would roll it myself in a long counter or table.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 9

I have a Wilton Ribbon cutting tool that I use. I start with a fondant 'snake' and roll it out flat. Then I take my ribbon cutter and make a few ribbons. Gently roll the ribbon up like you would roll up that bubble tape gum kids chew. Know what I mean? Then place the roll of 'tape' against the bottom of the cake and gently unroll next to the cake. This keeps from stretching the 'ribbon' out of shape by picking it up. Makes it much easier to move when it's rolled up.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 9

thi is the site we saw it on...
http://www.caljavaonline.com/fondantribbon1.htm

cakelady45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady45 Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #7 of 9

I agree about rolling it up like the bubble gum tape is the easiest way, just make sure that you have it dusted well with cornstarch or Pwd sugar or it will all stick together and you'll have to start all over! icon_lol.gif

sugarmamma03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmamma03 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for the help icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 9

Who did that beautiful cake? You should always post your source to give credit to the person who did the cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%