What Do You Do...

Business By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 28 May 2009 , 1:57pm by sweetcakes

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 6

when you're just not a good businesswoman?

I've tried but the business aspect of the "business" just frustrates me. Today I got back 43 out of 45 cake pops I consigned to a store. No one bought them because they were too pricey. Maybe my DH is right. I'm in the wrong place. The people in this area just don't make enough disposable income.

So what should I do? I have spent a lot of money on books, tools and equipment. I love to bake but I know that I need to earn money from it too (since I quit my job this month). I wish I can just handle the baking part and somebody else does the business end of it, pricing, marketing.

Any thoughts? I'm getting so depressed. icon_sad.gif

5 replies
jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 6

Are you trying other ways of bringing in business? You really have to get your product out to a lot of places to get going. Then once you get a steady flow of orders then you will be able to rely on word of mouth business more.

Have you tried taking samples to different businesses with your card? Do you have a website that people can check out to see your work and know your prices?

I don't know what kind of place you toke the cake pops to but maybe it wasn't the right kind of place. So keep trying different places.

You are correct that a lot of people don't have enough disposable income but that doesn't usually stop them from buying celebration cakes and goodies. You just need to get your product out there.

Hope that helps!

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 6

How about contacting businesses - real estate, stock brokers and other folks who make a good income from referrals. Those types of people send gifts to cleints - for bday.

I work for a stock broker and my job is to find gifts for people. This year we are using a local cookie baker to sned chocolate chip cookies for bdays - not only do we get lots of thank you's from our cleints, the baker has also grown his business.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 6

It's a tough time right now...but jewel is right...people still buy celebration cakes. Sometimes it takes a little bit of $$ in advertising to start bringing in business. You may have to donate cakes, cookies, etc. to some events to get your name out, folks trying your products and orders starting to come in.

The one thing you don't want to do is way under price your product. Never charge less than your local bakeries!!

Are you legal? If not, that will keep you from being able to advertise appropriately. Set up a website and be sure that whenever anyone Googles "cakes myhometown" your name will pop-up. It's the toughest part of starting a business, but once the momentum begins...watch out!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

I have thought about giving free samples to businesses and such. But I'm not sure what to make. I would need to spend money, I know but I don't have a lot right now, running on my last paycheck. Would cookies be enough?

jeking, it's so easy to sell anything here in terms of legalities (not from the US), basically anyone can just sell food.

thanks for replying. I'm not gonna give up. i already spent way too much money on my baking stuff to give up. icon_sad.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 6

do you have a website. instead of making baked goods and giving them away, spend some time on other advertising. get the website going, make some displays, see if local wedding, party, shops will display them for you, even a jewelers. How much competition do you have?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%