Adding Crea Mcheese To The Extender?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 27 May 2009 , 2:26am by sayhellojana

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 6

Ok so I use cake mixes and I always add the extender ingredients. Well, I have to make a sculpted Longhorn cake this coming week and I really need a good dense cake, like a pound cake. So I was thinking...(dangerous, I know)...instead of adding a cup of sour cream like the extender calls for, can I add a cup of cream cheese and achieve the same results? Or maybe 1/2 c cream cheese and 1/2 c sour cream? Anybody know or have any other ideas?

5 replies
Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

I've never done this before but I'd like to give it a try too. I did notice on "cake boss" last night that he uses cream cheese in his pound cake recipe for sculpted cakes so I'm guessing it must work!

Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 6

That's actually what gave me the idea! I just don't know if cream cheese will act the same in a recipe as sour cream does.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 6

It won't act the same, but it will deffinantly give you a denser cake.

Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #5 of 6

Will it ruin the cake? I'm on a tight budget on this one, and I won't be able to go get more supplies without really cutting into my profit (it's a gift cake for a friend.)

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:26am
post #6 of 6

I don't know for sure. I'm not a mix baker. I honestly wouldn't suggest it. Sour cream will give you a plenty dense cake, and you can reduce some of the other liquids using sour cream in their place as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%