Insert Fresh Flowers?????

Decorating By Carlymoon Updated 27 May 2009 , 1:44am by kakeladi

Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 5

It's my first wedding cake and they want fresh flowers on the cake. How do I insert them without it being gross? I found some wilton flower picks but it was $6.99 for 6 flower picks. I need a more economical way.... HELP!

4 replies
klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

You could use bubble tea straws. They are like $3.50 for a pack of about 50 straws. I use them to stack my layers. They are sturdy and easy to cut. If you google bubble tea straws, you will get quite a few links. And if I remember correctly, they did not take too long to come in. If I come across the site that I used, I'll post it.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 5

I get my bubble straws from a Korean grocery store. If you have a similar store in your area, they will have them. Chinese, Japanese, etc.... I get a whole package... don't know how many, for $1.00 !!! I think there is 20 in a package.

These would definitely work for you.......

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 5

FYI...they are pretty colorful...so remember, if you do use them, make sure they are pushed down far enough into the cake where they won't be seen...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #5 of 5

Nice, fat ordinary drink straws - like you get at Burger King or other fast food stores are perfect. You don't have to have bubble tea straws. Do not get bendable ones from the grocery store. Maybe go to BK at an off time, when they are not busy and ask if you can buy a fit-full.
If the flower flops around in the straw squirt some b'cream into it to hold it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%