How To Make The Number 10 As A Topper To Stay.

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 26 May 2009 , 8:33pm by indydebi

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 5

I wanted to make the number 10 out of fondont. I was just going to roll it skinny and shape out the number 10. How do I get it to stayon the cake without it leaning then eventually falling over. I was thinking of make the umber 1 longer and jsut sticking it in but what about the "0".?

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 5

I use shish kabob skewers for stuff like that. Insert the blunt (or sharb) end into the gumpaste (I recommend GP, fondant can soften up on you and droop over) number, and then insert the skewer down through the cake into the board. So, actually, use the skewer paointy end down, so you and jam that into the cake board beneath.

Make your number, stick the skewer in, then let it all dry before putting on cake, so make it a few days before. HTH. I think I rambled a bit....ok, done.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 5

Annnnnnd, I can't spell either. Sheesh! POINTY end......and SHARP end!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 5

Toothpicks work great too, make the numbers then put in the toothpick in the bottom and let dry like Jamie said do it a few days ahead and let it dry.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 5

Small (thin) skewers or I used the coffee stirrers when I made the "50" for my own birthday cake (see pic on home page of my website ... link below). I attached the numbers with some melted candy melts and it worked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%