Stories On Worst/strangest/oddest Customer....

Business By d_michelle95 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 6:45am by margaretb

d_michelle95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d_michelle95 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 66

requests inquirest you all have gotten from potential customers. I have seen alot of stories in the short amount of time I have been here with some CRAZY/STRANGE customer request. So would you all be so kind as to prepare me for some of the people I should prepar myself for!! Thank you so much, I've had a bad day and I could use a few good laughs....

65 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 66

There's always the bozo who will complain because you're more expensive than Walmart. I get that one all the time.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 66

got a good one today-
Customer ordered egg free cake (but was OK with egg beaters--huh- whatever) to be picked up on Friday. So friday comes and goes and no pickup. Left voicemail late friday, saturday and sunday. No answer, email nothing.

So she calls today and asks if we can hold it until THURSDAY of this week!!!!! I explained that it would probably be dry by then, she proceeds to tell me that since it doesn't have eggs in it, it will be just fine. icon_confused.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 66

I got one today, she wants a SpongeBob cake. Okay, what kind of design? It doesn't matter, just make me something and I'm sure it will be fine. What flavor? Again, it doesn't matter. What? Talk about creative license...

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 66

Here's one for ya, from my boss..

"Susan, ***'s last day is on June 30th and we were wondering if you could make the cake for her going away party?"

Sure. The funny part is...that is MY last day too. icon_confused.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 66

Well I had a lady order a Spiderman cake for her son's birthday. She confirmed that she still wanted the cake within a week of me making it. So I got up early, rearranged my Saturday schedule and baked her son's cake. I called to get the correct spelling of his name and she informed me that she had changed the date of his party and actually wanted the cake for the following weekend...Okay, I told her the cake was done except for the writing and the Spiderman had not been put on it yet (still plain cake)...then she said she also could not pay for it until the following week, when i delivered it. Of course i was not comfortable making her a 2nd cake, let alone waiting to be paid. I told her i'd freeze it, then she asked if it would still be any good. I told her I don't freeze cake, so I didn't know. She agreed to call me later in the week. I took the cake to work, after 2 days in the refrigerator and it was the BEST Chocolate cake! My co-workers loved it and of course, she did not call me later that week.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

"Susan, ***'s last day is on June 30th and we were wondering if you could make the cake for her going away party?"

Maybe they're getting her to make you a cake, too! icon_lol.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

Maybe they're getting her to make you a cake, too! icon_lol.gif

Maybe they're getting you to make YOUR OWN cake. icon_eek.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 66

I always like when they say "Do your cakes taste good?"

Like they really think I'm gonna go "Welllll, frankly....no. But most people only care about how they look."

haha.

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 66

I only do cakes occasionally, but the only person who I almost laughed at was a lady at my son's school.

Pretty much everyone knows I make cakes and cookies, and she wanted me to make cookies for favors for her sisters bridal shower....BUT she wanted to try a cookie first. I explained to her that I only do cookies maybe once in a while, and I didn't have any cookies coming up before the date she needed, so she said Oh thats fine, you can just make a whole batch, my family will eat them. So I asked her what she wanted, since my prices vary depending on size and detail of cookie, and she responded with whatever....I am not looking to PAY, I just want them to sample icon_confused.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 66

I got a good one last week,

This woman calls, no hello my name is..., no good evening , she starts yelling right away:

-Crazy customer: I wanna know if you can make this cake?.
-Me: Oh! Hello, could you please tell me the date of the event so I can check my availability before we discuss any details?
-Crazy customer: No! I want to make sure first that you KNOW how to do my cake.
~Im thinking: WTH?! ~ icon_confused.gif
-Me: ooooooookkkkgo ahead.

Then she proceeds to explain all the details she wants on the cake, flavors, colorsetc.
She tells me what she wants, what she doesnt want, why she wants this and thatshe would like to come in for a tasting look at pictures of other cakes Ive doneeven though she said she went to my website and looked at all the pictures.

What she described was a sheet cake with a bunch crap on it, nothing too complicated.
After shes done telling me ALL that

-Me: Sure, what youve described is something relatively simple and I could definitely do it, can you now tell me what the date of the event is so I can check my calendar and see if Im available?
-Crazy customer: its on blah blah blahbut my niece is coming from California and I need to pick her up at the airport so I need you to be there with the cake at 11:00am not a minute earlier not a minute late.blah blah blah

-Me: Im sorry but I am completely booked on that date, good luck. icon_twisted.gif

I was not booked but I know where this was going, I dont need this kind of customer. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 66

My very first wedding cake, she wanted the 3-tier cake "pre-cut". As much as I didn't know about cakes back then, at least I knew THAT wasn't possible! icon_eek.gif
-------------------------------------------
Guy calls and starts with "I'm having a dinner party tonight at 5:00 ...."

Uh-oh. icon_confused.gif

"....and I'm looking for a special cake..."

UH-OH!

"I'd like to have a cake carved like (whatever his favorite car was ... can't remember now)."

I laughed (no, really, I did) and said, "Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that?" I then suggested he call (very expensive bakery), although I'm not sure they could do it on such short notice.

He said, in a dejected forlorn voice, "I already called them ... they said they needed more notice."

DUH!!!!!!!!!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 66

"so she said Oh thats fine, you can just make a whole batch, my family will eat them"

How very kind and generous of her! Did she want you to make dinner for her family, too?

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelsx19

I only do cakes occasionally, but the only person who I almost laughed at was a lady at my son's school.

Pretty much everyone knows I make cakes and cookies, and she wanted me to make cookies for favors for her sisters bridal shower....BUT she wanted to try a cookie first. I explained to her that I only do cookies maybe once in a while, and I didn't have any cookies coming up before the date she needed, so she said Oh thats fine, you can just make a whole batch, my family will eat them. So I asked her what she wanted, since my prices vary depending on size and detail of cookie, and she responded with whatever....I am not looking to PAY, I just want them to sample icon_confused.gif

No way! She wanted to to make her a FREE batch of cookies?! The nerve! She probably goes to Sam's club and eats all the samples and makes that into a meal! Ha ha!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 66

I actually have a couple good ones...
Will the cake be fresh?
Are you sure you are ABLE/CAPABLE of doing a cake like this?
Just make whatever you want, doesn't matter to me...NO WAY then they will B**CH and complain later, that isn't what I wanted...pick a freakin' cake yourself!
The best is when you go over all the details for them, and then you work up the price, and their reaction is...."well let me talk to my husband, and I will call you back"...yeah right that means the end to that...
Two other good ones....
I had a bride actually send me a picture of the color ivory, just in case I wasn't sure what that looked like icon_eek.gif
Then I had another request to do a Titanic cake...the lady emailed me a picture of the actual titanic, she told me "just in case I wasn't sure what she was talking about" WTF!!! I guess I have lived in a cave all my life, and the kicker is that she cancelled the cake anyway...

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #16 of 66

Thanks girls but no. My boss and I have a difficult relationship, so I am sure there is no surprise or cake for me.

It's okay. No hurt feelings--I am moving on to an exciting job that is going to be great. It was just funny...ironic.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #17 of 66

Funny that this thread should be up here today. I just fielded the strangest call yet a few hours ago.

Customer: Do you have a shop or do I just place an order?
Me: I bake to order, so you can place your order over the phone with me.

Customer: How big are your cinnamon rolls?
Me: About 3 or 4 bites (I sell mini-cinis).

Customer: No, I mean what size are they? (huh?) icon_confused.gif
Me: I'm not sure what more information I can give you.

Customer: How big is the pan you deliver them in?
Me: It depends how many I bake. I will deliver however many you want on a tray or in a box.

Customer: (Clearly exasperated with me at this point) No, I mean will a dozen of them fill a 9x13 pan?
Me: I don't know, I don't bake them that way. (Is she going to consume the pan, too? Why is this important?) icon_confused.gif

Customer: OK. Hangs up.

Guess I won't be hearing from her again!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #18 of 66

oh here is another one...I did a breast cancer benefit on Saturday. Made cuppies for it. One crazy lady said,...."oh these must have taken forever to make", I said, "actually no they only took about an hour to make them" she then says how would you know? I said polietly, "well I made them." She then looks right at me, and says...there is no way you could have made these in this time...you must have not done something right...like what bake them? HUN????? Then she proceeeded to tank down about 4 of them...so I guess they not only looked good, but tasted good too.. icon_mad.gif

d_michelle95 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #19 of 66

Thank you everyone for all the replies... I really appreciate them and feel free to keep them coming, some people are just plain NUTSO!!!

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #20 of 66

I had one I posted about last week. She sent a piece of generic black ribbon with a note that her black is just your regular standard black. She's having a plain black satin ribbon around the base of her cake. I really didn't need a swatch and a note for that.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I always like when they say "Do your cakes taste good?"

Like they really think I'm gonna go "Welllll, frankly....no. But most people only care about how they look."

haha.

Ha! Some dipsh** decorator in my town actually had the nerve to say this to a personal chef friend of mine one day. She was so taken aback, she called me to report her experience with said baker. Wow, wow, wow! Sure honey, keep telling yourself that!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethkay

Customer: (Clearly exasperated with me at this point) No, I mean will a dozen of them fill a 9x13 pan?
Me: I don't know, I don't bake them that way. (Is she going to consume the pan, too? Why is this important?) icon_confused.gif

I bet you she wants to pretend that she made them herself.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:06pm
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

I bet you she wants to pretend that she made them herself.

Probably,how annoying.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #24 of 66

A good friend of mine said the same thing. Don't know why I didn't think of it. A couple of weeks ago I had a potential customer make a point of asking me to make cookies that looked homemade so that she could pass them off as hers! People are unbelievable sometimes! icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:21pm
post #25 of 66
Quote:

A good friend of mine said the same thing. Don't know why I didn't think of it. A couple of weeks ago I had a potential customer make a point of asking me to make cookies that looked homemade so that she could pass them off as hers! People are unbelievable sometimes! icon_rolleyes.gif

Ha ha ha! You should have made a bunch that were lumpy and underbaked, and some that were burned on the edges! icon_biggrin.gif

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #26 of 66

I post all of my cakes on facebook. I usually get lots of comments from my friends about how much they like them. I got a message from a girl I worked with a few years ago. We were not friends, just coworkers. Well she said she was pregnant and having a baby shower in July and was wondering if I would make her a cake. I replied that I would love to and needed some info so I could figure out the price. I never heard back. I just figured she was expecting it for free and that is why she hasnt replied.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:42pm
post #27 of 66

Have you already read the one I posted a couple of months ago? I'll tell you again -

I normally do not sell my cakes. A friend of a distant relative called me after tasting the grad cakes I did, and insisted I bake her daughter's Sweet 16 cake. I succumbed to the temptation to say no, because I thought, what could it hurt?

Then she proceeded to tell me what she wanted -

Cake for 200 - no problem
Fresh fruit filling for all cakes - at no extra charge
A big $ acrylic 7 cake stand with all separate tiers with matching candle holders - at my expense
Enough writing on the main cake to qualify for a novel - and what should I use - alphabet noodle letters? That would be the only thing small enough for all the writing she wanted - Happy Sweet 16 + name, a poem, rose bouquet on top, yeah right.
A huge mirror under the whole thing - at my expense
Tulle and flowers around the stand bases - at my expense
A tasting - she just tasted my cakes at the grad party - hey, I live in an apartment and don't normally sell cakes, where am I going to do this?
Delivery - free

All this, and she wanted it for the grocery store price. I sent her to the grocery store. So glad I don't sell cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #28 of 66

Actually I think my worst is my hubby!!! He constantly asks me how many cakes do you have for this weekend? Do you think we will be able to go to the cottage? UH honey.... parties happen on the weekends!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #29 of 66

Awww, kmoores, it sounds like he wants you all to himself. How sweet!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

d_michelle95 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #30 of 66

playingwithsugar--

Some people are truely UNBELIEVEABLE!! Like others have said they act like they are doing us a favor by ordering a cake from us... We should be so happy that they chose us that we should give them WHATEVER they want for they price they tell US and be ESTACTIC about it, LOL!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%