Painiting On Fondant

Decorating By JNSugarRush Updated 16 Jul 2013 , 9:34am by Smckinney07

JNSugarRush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JNSugarRush Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 6

My husband and I own a bakery and coffee house. We do all kinds of cakes but all of my fondant work is self taught. I do pretty well but still have a lot of questions about techniques and products.

My big question right now is what type of coloring do you use to "paint" on fondant? I have thought about regular gel color but it seems like it would be to thick
any suggestions?

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 6

I use regular gel color thinned down with vodka. It's better to thin with vodka than water because the water will melt the fondant but vodka evaporates before it can do that. If you can't use vodka, then a clear extract will work...lemon extract, almond extract, clear vanilla, etc...

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 6

You can use the regular gel colours like Wilton, just thin it out with vodka or extract. Don't use water, though!!!

hth

justinaud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinaud Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 8:52am
post #4 of 6

How long must you wait for fondant covered cake to dry before u start painting

should the cake dry outside the fridge or inside the fridge

once the cake is painted should it dry outside the fridge or inside the fridge

any help is welcome TIA

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:22am
post #5 of 6

AThere is a free video on Craftsy about hand painting on fondant covered cakes. I don't know what kind of fondant you use, they all setup differently. I haven't watched the video yet and hand painting is something I haven't done much of-just accent pieces and they're usually dry by the time I get to painting them or at least not super soft. I know refrigerating fondant covered cakes is debatable, it's something I do but others will tell you not to lol. I would worry about the colors bleeding though. There was a post a couple days ago about fondant covered cakes that were painted I'd refer to that.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:34am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%