Help! How Do I Di This Cake?

Decorating By millionairess Updated 28 May 2009 , 6:41am by millionairess

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 12

HI, I hv a wedding cake to make n i cant understand how this cake is done. Does anyone know how the pattern on the top n sides are done as well as the borders?
Appreciate any help. Thanks
LL

11 replies
AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:29am
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure if this is how they did it or not, but this is how I would duplicate it......After you have the base frosting on your cake, cut out various shapes of fondant in different sizes (hearts, diamonds, etc. like they have used in the pic). Now, take a smaller cutter in the same shape & cut out the middle of each one (toss the middles). Take your shapes and place them on the cake. After they are all on the cake, use a #3 round tip & pipe cornelli lace on the cake going around & in between all the shapes you have applied, making sure not to pipe the cornelli lace any further down than what your shapes are (If you look at the pic, the whole design stops about 2/3 down the cake & it does not go all the way to the bottom). Now, pipe different designs into the middle of the shapes. It looks like in the picture they piped various designs (zig-zags, lines, squiggles, etc.)

As for the border, to me it looks like a simple strip of fondant that has been folded and "scrunched as it was placed around the cake.

Once again, I'm not sure if this is how they did it, but that's what I would try. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks & what other ideas may come up. Either way, good luck! icon_smile.gif

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:38am
post #3 of 12

To me it seems like the top is made with a stencil and RI or it could be fondant cut with some kind of fancy cutters. Global Sugar Art sells them (maybe not this exact one) The borders look like it could be fondant with lines from an impression mat. That's what I think I see. I could be so wrong. In any event if you don't find out exactly how it's done, I've giving you other options to achieve a similiar look. I hope I was of some help.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:56am
post #4 of 12

I agree with AZCakeGirl for the top part of the cake but with yummy for the border ,I definitely thimk it's an impression mat. Good luck.

millionairess Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:01am
post #5 of 12

Thanks so much AZCakeGirl & Yummy. I think i will try your suggestions n see how it turns out.
I can always count on my CC buddies!

Thanks again!

millionairess Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 12

Thanks soalscakes. Sorry, im a bit "duh" at the moment, i dont really understand hw to get the effect from an impression mat.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:37am
post #7 of 12

That pattern is called Battenberg Lace, and also is known as Brussels Lace. The lines are always straight (unlike sotas or cornelli) inside the individual sections... like on this parasol:
http://dragonflydesignstudio.com/Accessories/BLparasolecru2.jpg
and this collar:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15088016

millionairess Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:49am
post #8 of 12

Thanks Sugarfrosted. I get what mean. Just wondering would it be easier using fondant or royal icing?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 12

After taking a closer look at the details in the picture, I think the fine lines should be done in royal icing witha tip #1, and then overlay with thin fondant cutout shapes for the section frames. While I don't personally use fondant or royal (all buttercream all the time for me) that is what the work in the picture looks like to me.

millionairess Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #10 of 12

Thanks SugarFrosted.
Now the bride wants the pattern done in butter cream. Any idea how to get the same or similer effect using butter cream?
Thanks !

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #11 of 12

You could do the base frosting & piping in buttercream, but I think the shapes would need to be fondant. You could just tell her that the fondant will only be used as an accent. I suppose you could attempt this in buttercream, but I don't think it would have the same look to it at all.

Atferthought..........I suppose you could frost a thin layer of buttercream on a piece of saran wrapped cardboard & put it in the freezer. Then, cut the shapes out of that once it has hardened & put them on the cake very quickly before they start to soften up. I've done this before, however not with this delicate of a design (I made perfectly round & smooth buttercream baseballs this way once). You'll have to make several extras since a lot of them will most likely break before you get them on the cake. To me though, it's a lot more hassle than what somebody is probably willing to pay for since I had a pretty hard time with mine.

millionairess Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:41am
post #12 of 12

Yes, it does seem a hassle. I think ill go for ur first suggestion.
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%