This Cake Is Ruining My Life...any Help Would Be Appreciated

Decorating By TxBama Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 5:56am by Ladiesofthehouse

TxBama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBama Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #1 of 25

Have a request for a sheet cake carved in the shape of 2009. I think I can get it carved, but worry about the cake tearing up when I try to crumb coat it. She wants all buttercream. Would it help to semi-freeze before trying to crumb coat? I worry that it will begin to thaw and the crumb coat get...I don't know..gooey or runny. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

24 replies
alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:08am
post #2 of 25

Freezing will help and do a nice, thick crumb coat. If it starts giving you trouble just pop it back in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 25

Oy! Hmmmmm.....ummm, I would cover with fondant. I couldn't imagine trying to get all that detail (all of the curves and nooks and crannies nice and smooth and decent looking in BC only. Seriously. Or do some poured fondant. I would be pulling my hair out at the thought of trying to get that to look smooth with BC....ouch!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 25

It can be done. Just make sure its good and cold out of the fridge. Do a thin crumb coat with a small spatula to get all the details. I have done carved cakes and the key is to use a small spatula. Good luck!

TxBama Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #5 of 25

Thanks so much. Ugh...on top of the carving it is supposed to be white, with a red and black trim...will really be glad when this one is out the door! Mareg, thanks for telling me it can be done. That tells me there is hope and a light at the end of the tunnel! icon_smile.gif

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 25

please be sure to post a pic! i can't wait to see - sure it will turn out great!

good luck!

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 25

I know its a lot, but I would probably star it. At least around the edges.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 25

Freeze the cake and for the crumb coat thin out your buttercream a little.... that always helps me!

TxBama Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 25

Thursday can't get here soon enough! I think I have talked myself in to being able to carve, crumb coat and frost this monster, but now I'm worrying about the red and black bleeding into the white...will this nightmare ever end? This lady is very "Picky" and the nervous type. I think that is why I'm so "nerve racked" with this one...ugh...She's one of those who wants to "DESIGN" the cake. Then if it really looks crappy, it's not the DESIGN, it's the way YOU decorated it...Thanks to all of ya'll I feel like I have a few friends in my corner! Will def post a picture of this one! LOLicon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 25

Don't forget to leave a toothpick hole or two for the air to excape through. Going in and out of the freezer is going to cause a temperature flux and expansion which could result in a blow out bubble. I would hate for that to happen to you. I have read about those on here a few times.

TxBama Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 25

OMG...that's would be the icing on the cake! (*pun* sorry) The last thing I need is a big fat blow hole in the cake...good grief...LOLicon_smile.gif So, 2 cakes to do tonight and then the big blow hole cake Thursday! Woo Hoo! Almost home ~

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 25

i just read a post about using ganache instead of buttercream under fondant, that might give you an easy way of crumbcoating.

sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 25

Very punny! I have done hard to get to spaces on a peiced cake I helped a friend with. It did not come out of the pan successfully-to be kind about it. I jammed him all together all the while thinking of Humpty Dumpty had a pet bunny rabbit and loved him and pet-ed him and broke him and called him George. Don't ask ROFLMBO!
It was two layers of a grotesk mess of crumbs! And after three hours of pasting him together and filling him full of Guava(yes filled him) he was rather on the plain side but at half past midnight we were both more then done! Hehe So bottom line if I can do it you can do it. Just give it your best whack!
Oh I bet you want to see the cheeky lil buger don't ya?
LL
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 25

Sadsmile...he's adorable!

TxBama Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 25

Wellll, I made it through! Sadsmile - love your bunny! It came out so nice and clean after you telling us about pasteing him together! LOLicon_smile.gif Thanks to ALL of you for the helpful advise and moral support. I think I used every suggestion that was given by each one of you!
So, if I can figure out how to post a picture, I will. The bad news is, I wrapped it up in a box, BEFORE taking the picture...ugh...glad I finished with this one. The lady was very pleased and her daughter loved it. I saw them at graduation and her husband came by and told me it tasted wonderful. So that really made my day! Here's the pic, please pardon the cling wrap! Thanks again my cake baking friends!

TxBama Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 25

Sorry for the crummy picture!
LL

farfalla6ella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farfalla6ella Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 25

Uh, What's wrong with it? It looks beautiful!

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:44pm
post #18 of 25

I really think that this is a very beautiful cake. Very beautiful. Did you freehand the 2009 or did you use a stencil?

Wow icon_eek.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #19 of 25

That is one awesome cake, my friend! I love everything about it. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #20 of 25

Hey, that turned out GREAT!!!

TxBama Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaR

I really think that this is a very beautiful cake. Very beautiful. Did you freehand the 2009 or did you use a stencil?

Wow icon_eek.gif

I used a homemade redneck pattern! LOL I printed 4 sheets of paper of the font that I liked (enlarged to the size I needed), cut each number out of waxed paper and layed it out on the cake. Then carved around it.

TxBama Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Hey, that turned out GREAT!!!

Thanks so much! Thanks for all of your input! I think the anticipation of all that might go wrong, was worse thing. I actually enjoyed making it, when all was said and done! Again, thanks for your support!

sadsmile Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #23 of 25

Sometimes the Redneck way is the only way to go! You did an amazing job! It looks so smooth and HUGE! I knew you could do it!

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #24 of 25

That is a really nice cake! I would not have thought of that--great idea. My daughter's graduation is in July and I am trolling around for ideas. Good job!

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #25 of 25

That is a really nice cake! I would not have thought of that--great idea. My daughter's graduation is in July and I am trolling around for ideas. Good job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%