Question About Sugar/ Mold Work

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 26 May 2009 , 3:47am by justfrosting

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a cake into the shape of a crock-pot. I would like to do a sugar lid. Any thought on how to accomplish the mold?

Thanks cakers!!

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #2 of 5

Wonder if you could use a heat safe plate, you know something that you could put in the oven. If you oiled it then poured your hot sugar on it, it should release, or you could carefully cover the plate with foil then oil, before pouring your sugar, the only thing with the foil is its really hard not to get creases in it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 5

You can get your sugar hot to whatever temperature and pour it out on a silpat and just let it pour itself out round--y'know--I mean it could be an oval crock pot too. Mine's oval. Then after it cools stick a handle on it.

I mean otherwise like on pastry challenges and competitions on tv they have those silicone 'noodles' that they form to the desired shape and pour the sugar in there. But those are pretty pricey $50 $60.

But if you just pour it out on a silpat carefully it will settle itself out into a circular pattern--know what I mean? Just pour it onto silicone and let it cool.

If it wasn't perfectly round you could mask it by a fondant lip around the edge painted silver --that'd be lid-ish. You could just fudge the fondant to make up the difference to make it look more rounded if necessary.

Super hot dangerous stuff of course.

The Lorann oil site has some easy peasy recipes I've used before.

Jacques Torres recipe is easy too.

3.3 #'s sugar
11.5 ounces water
2 ounces vinegar

320 degrees

Lid thoughts for yah.

You could make a well kinda under the silpat with foil covered foam or something so that when you pour the hot sugar it will conform to the shape under the silpat kinda sorta. But the silpat is flat and the well would not be flat so that might cause a wrinkle too--but you could zap it with a blow torch. Am I thinking too much yet??

icon_biggrin.gif

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 5

What about trying the unflavored jello trick?? I was just reading about it earlier (haven't tried it yet), but you brush it on to plastic. My crockpot lid is plastic but there is a thread here on how to. Maybe it would work, I would ask the experts first.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #5 of 5

all great ideas. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%