Refrigerate Hi-Ratio Shortening? Recommendations?

Decorating By Sandylee05 Updated 28 May 2009 , 7:57pm by JanH

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 4

I've noticed the hi ratio shortening turns yellow. Can I refrigerate hi-ratio shortening? Will that help it stay white longer? What kind of hi-ratio shortening do you recommend?

I've used Vermey and Alpine White. I thought the Alpine White was really nice and more white, but it yellowed in the past 6 months.

I really appreciate everyone's recommendations and wisdom.

Thank you,
Sandy

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:27am
post #2 of 4

The hi-ratio shortening I bought at the cake decorating shop was off-white and somewhat transluctent - and VERY expensive.

I broken down and ordered a 50# cube of Sweetex hi-ratio shortening from Gordon Food Service which was opaque and creamy white.

Obviously, the product I had been paying an arm and leg for wasn't even fresh. icon_sad.gif Fresh Sweetex if properly handled/stored from the factory to you should have shelf life of 12 months if stored in a cool/dry environment.

I knew I would never use that much product so I portioned out the shortening into food service grade foodsafe containers I got from Sam's Club; one of which is in my 'fridge and the others in the freezer (next to my sale butter and tub margarine).

Other members put the amount of shortening needed per batch of buttercream in individual ziploc bags and store that way or put the ziploc bags in containers in their freezers.

If you don't have enough room to freeze, refrigerating the shortening will slow the oxidation process.

HTH

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:53am
post #3 of 4

Dear JanH,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I will definitely take your advice and buy the 50 lb. block from Gordons. I didn't even think about freezing it. You're a life saver!

Thank you,
Sandy

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 4

You're most welcome, Sandy. icon_biggrin.gif

If ordering from Gordons, the item # for Sweetex is: 1080220.
(For some reason my Gordon's couldn't find it without that number, which puzzlegut was kind enough to provide.) thumbs_up.gif

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%