Frustrated (But Relieved At The Same Time)...long

Decorating By pouchet82 Updated 29 May 2009 , 4:24pm by Butterpatty

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 10

So, a friend of a friend contacted me to make 3 cakes for her, 1 for last weekend and 2 for June. Because it is a friend of a friend I don't really ask for deposits, so I didn't. I went out and bought my ingredients a week and a half before the cake was due (letting her know that she had up to 2 weeks before to change the flavor). She kept emailing me non-stop to make sure that I didn't forget about her (like once a day!) and asking for a sketch of the cake (just a plain 9x13 cake with happy birthday). I explained to her numerous times that I was really sick (out of comission for 2 weeks ++) and then my dog had surgery, got an infection and had a reaction to her antibiotics, so I have had a lot to deal with and didn't have time to write happy birthday on a peice of paper and send it to her. So I email her a picture a week before she needs the cake, and she emails me back 3 days before she needs the cake that she can't open the file, but she needs to change the flavor of the cake since one of the kids has a nut allergy (WTH, she didn't know this before?). I explained to her that I absolutely CANNOT guarantee that my cakes are nut free, and I will not be responsible if anything happens to this child if she still wants the cake. She still wanted it. So she came and picked it up Saturday and seemed really happy with it, and then she emails me this morning that something came up and to please cancel the other two cakes! Although I am VERY relieved, since I was dreading working with her again, I wasn't born yesterday and I know it was something to do with the cake. I have made the cake before and know that it tastes really good, and the frosting was super yummy too. I wish she was just upfront and honest and told me what she didn't like about the cake...Sorry just needed to vent icon_sad.gif

9 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 10

Hmmm..........that's odd. Did you respond to her e-mail yet?

If you really want to know if she were dissatisfied with this cake I'd ask her for her feedback.

She may say something that is helpful to you in the future or she may not. But, if you don't ask you'll always be wondering.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 10

I'm not sure how many people would truly tell you they didn't like the cake. Maybe you could ask your mutual friend if something was wrong with the cake. I wonder if she expected more "attention" like the sketch etc. Kind of like the bridezillasicon_smile.gif I don't think she needed more attention for such a simple cake but she might feel that way. Good luck. I'm sure the cake was great

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with dkelly. Just ask if there was a problem. It could be something as simple as the the events in June were cancelled. Or, she may not have liked the cake. What one person finds tasty another may find repulsive. I have a friend who does not like chocolate cake (what planet is she from?). Come on! Who doesn't like chocolate? Really!

pouchet82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will respond to the email. I'm not sure if I want to ask her flat out if there was something wrong with it, since she strikes me as the type of person who will ask for their money back. I know the cake tasted fine, because when I leveled it I cut the bump off the top and it was yummy, and the rest f my family thought it was yummy too. Oh well, I guess you can't please everyone. She is more than welcome to harass Walmart for her next cake!

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 10

Well, I would say I would be relieved too. So not worth the trouble. Lots of people don't seem to realize that cake doesn't just pop out of the oven ready to go. Even close friends and family are amazed that it takes a full day to bake a 5 tier 2 layer wedding cake. you are right, cut your losses and move along, she can drive the grocery store bakery bonkers.

pouchet82 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 10

Well, I emailed her yesterday and have not heard back yet. Oh well, so not worth my time!! I will have more time now to bake some beautiful cakes for my bridal shower : )

pouchet82 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:18am
post #8 of 10

So I heard from my friend who referred this nut job to me...She told her that the cake looked like it had been dropped on the floor when I dropped it off at her house (WTH!?) She PICKED UP the cake at my house!!! Anyway, my friend told her that there was no way, since she has seen my work and my cakes are awesome icon_smile.gif She also told her that if it was squished, it was her own fault! Hahahaha. I'm glad she cancelled the other two orders because I don't want to work with people like that. She is going on my blaklist!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:47am
post #9 of 10

Well I'm glad that you figured out the problem! And you're right, you don't need to work with people who are lying about what happened to cakes.

There's no shame in admitting that you made a mistake. Everyone does. My son and I were travelling yesteday and we stopped at BK and I spilled the fries and chicken nuggets in the floor. I had to go get more. Was I embarrassed? Yes...but it was my fault. She should own up to her cake droppings!

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 10

icon_lol.gif - "cake droppings", I about split a gut when I read that! I have visions of little balls of cake trailing from the cake like bird droppings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%