Seriously, What Is Up!?

Decorating By caincakemaker Updated 25 May 2009 , 7:49am by caincakemaker

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:17am
post #1 of 6

I have covered so many cakes with fondant and the last 2 out of three have yucky bulges where the filling is. I use the same fillings all the time as well as frosting, what is going on? Some of my earlier cakes look better than the ones I have done lately. I am so angry right now.. any suggestions would be so welcomed. I know there are scads of posts on this but the search didn't come up with any. Help! what am I doing wrong??

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:28am
post #2 of 6

Did you use a stiff dam?

caincakemaker Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:35am
post #3 of 6

yup, I had a hard time piping it even with a big hole it was so stiff.. whew didn't mean for that to sound like "adult only" content!

But ya, I did. Ugh... can somebody just fill and crumbcoat for me, I can do the rest ! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:38am
post #4 of 6

I've noticed that if I let it settle for a while after it's filled and before the fondant, I don't get bulges. I'm just filling them with jam or buttercream though.

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:46am
post #5 of 6

I have also noticed that if I don't let filled/crumbcoated cakes settle at room temp for at least an hour, then I will get a bulge at the filling lines - even if I use a stiff buttercream dam (2 - 3 hours is better). Then scrape the buttercream bulge off with spatula and cover with fondant. Cake sides should stay nice and flat.

caincakemaker Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:49am
post #6 of 6

oh, ok, I have never done that. I always fill and crumb coat and put them directly in the freezer. Then I fondant cover. I am so disappointed in this last cake...
Thanks for the tip, I will do that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%