Wooden Dowels At Home Depot

Decorating By Yankie Updated 27 May 2009 , 9:49pm by __Jamie__

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #31 of 40

These were just the wooden sticks, not the kits.
The may have been on clearance, but I don't think so.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #32 of 40

I buy my dowels at Home Depot, then I lightly sand them to get rid of anything that is not so clean, oils from people handling them at the store, etc, then wash them to get rid of the dust. They work very well. I figure just as many people are handling the dowels at craft stores, so the same treatment is needed. But in the future, I will smell them first to make sure they have not been splashed with PineSol as in jlynnw's case!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #33 of 40

This entire post is cracking me up. Here are my thoughts on the posts that I read.
#1 I can tell you without doubt that the dowels you buy at HD, Lowes, Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc.... are all made of North American Soft Wood. None of them will specify the specific species of tree they are made from. It is a craft wood.
#2 Wood is wood and it would not in any way cause a cake to colapse. It blows my mind that Collette said that.
#3 I worked at HD for 8 years and there are no chemicals flying in the air.
#4 Pressure treated wood is manufactured at its own plant.
#5 Anyone who would use a dowel to pick thier butt in a Home improvement store would do it in a factory making items for use with food also so you should be weary of your off set spatula.
I just think people need to use common sense. Clean what you are going to use. If you think it needs it then cover it in contact paper or floral tape.

There. I feel better non. lol

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:07pm
post #34 of 40

BeeBoos - the reason I sand them is.. Many people do not wash their hands, just pay attention in the rest rooms sometime and note how many people rinse their hands and consider that washing them - it does require soap and water - the equivalent of someone picking their butt as you mentioned in #5. I've seen people drop the dowels and put them back. I have seen small children with snotty noses handling them and adults coughing or sneezing into their hands before handling them! EEEW! How could you not want to sand them to expose clean fresh wood? You can't always control things, but in this small matter which only takes a brief moment of time, you can control the cleanliness of what you create!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #35 of 40

TNTF,
I think the sanding is a good idea. I feel that is cleaning them just as I mentioned to do.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #36 of 40

Or, save yourself the hassle altogether, and use SPS or bubble tea straws....so glad my days of cutting and hacking and wiping off sawdust from dowels are over...whew!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #37 of 40

You can also wipe them down with white vinegar or a weak bleach/water solution.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Or, save yourself the hassle altogether, and use SPS or bubble tea straws....so glad my days of cutting and hacking and wiping off sawdust from dowels are over...whew!

Methinks using a bubble tea straw as a central dowel would be a poor idea. icon_biggrin.gif

Beeboos, floral tape is not food safe and should not be placed into food. Besides it being TAPE made in China, the adhesive contains latex which many people have allergies to, including severe life-threatening allergies.

Not.Good.Eats.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

You can always:

a) wash them
b) cover them

Duh!...basic thought..lol... I mean isnt it something that should be done no
matter where you buy them!.. thumbs_up.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:49pm
post #40 of 40

Lol...of course it would, wouldn't be long enough! I like that I can avoid the whole center dowel alltogether though....either transport very carefully (hasn't failed me yet, because of very careful leveling and bubble straws cut extremely accurately) and/or assemble on site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%