Crusting Cream Cheese For Roses?

Decorating By Luby Updated 24 May 2009 , 10:15pm by KlyKat

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a red velvet cake for a co-worker and will be using a crusting cream cheese recipe from here. My question is can I make roses out of this or do I need to make a regular batch of stiffened buttercream.

Also, I see there is a recipe calling for butter and a recipe using all Crisco. I've never tried to make roses from a recipe that has butter - will my roses start to "melt" if I do use the crusting cream cheese for roses?

I have to bring it to work on Tuesday and I don't have a lot of time to experiment so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Luby Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 7

Bump!

Anybody?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 7

I use the crusting cream cheese recipe here on CC and make roses. If you don't have the consistancy you need to make roses...add more PS. My Italian Cream cake in my gallery is made with Cream Cheese Roses. My cream cheese and buttercream recipes have butter and I have no problem making roses. Just don't be afraid to add more PS...a little at a time until you get the consistancy you want/need. Good luck!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 7

I use the same cream cheese icing for my cakes as well as my roses all the time. If the icing is not stiff enough for the roses just add some powdered sugar, that's what I do and it works like a charm. HTH K'ly

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 7

I used the same recipe on one of my cake to make roses.It was red velvet with cream cheese,it under my pic,it's the #26 cake.

Luby Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everybody - now I'm off to make cream cheese icing and roses icon_biggrin.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 7

Gosh, I guess we were all thinking the same thing at the same time icon_lol.gif Great minds think alike icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%