I Am Going To Charger Her....would You?

Decorating By Brownie1954 Updated 25 May 2009 , 1:35pm by ninatat

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 25

Hi All....
I just met up with a bride this week, so she could pay for her wedding cake. We are all settled with that, and while together, we went over all the details of the order. She is happy with all the arrangements. However, as I began to close our meeting, she asked it I would consider making her a small cake in July. I asked her what kind of cake she needed, thinking perhaps it's for a BD....She wants a "little version" of what the wedding cake is going to look like, right down to the scroll work, so she can see it. She said if I wanted to, I could take a picture of the finished cake, and email it to her. So she thinks I am going to do this extra work, and then eat it myself or waste it? She never even offered to pay for this. I told her she will have to call me by July 1 so I can make a decision on doing this. I also told her that if I do it, it will come to her, after she has paid for it. I am not going to make this sample cake, which I don't do for anyone else, and give it to her for free.
How do you all feel about this? Thank you for your opinions!

24 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 25

Doesn't she know that you can copy most pictures right off the Internet and send them to her?

Pass.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 25

icon_lol.gif Sorry for laughing - but the first thing i thought of was...
If you have a picture of the cake - just resize it and email that to her icon_wink.gif and ask - is this the size you wanted.... i know - thats mean - but then so is she if she thinks you will make a *mini wedding cake* just for her to view - for free. icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I would be saying - sorry petal, my time is your money thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

Brownie1954 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 25

I really don't know what she's thinking...Her wedding is in August. She has paid in full for the cake. Is she going to say she doesn't like it that close to her wedding? I wondered why she wanted the picture emailed too. I don't know what she's up to, but I don't feel comfortable with it.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 25

I have done this before and I always charge. I just did one this week. It was a single tier with the design of the main cake and I definately charged as they expected. I don't see why they wouldn't expect to pay........strange.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 25

See, this is where I put on my blonde act, tilt my head to one side and ask, in pure innocence, "Why would you want me to do that?"

If it turns out it's for her wedding shower or something, then I just quote her a price for it. Period. If she hems and haws about it, I just sit there, quietly, while she tries to figure out a way out of the conversation she started.

Brownie1954 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 25

I don't mind helping my customers, and more often then not, have gone that one step further to do it....But when someone isn't considerate enough the ask "What would you charge for that" it makes my eyebrows bush up! icon_razz.gif
Cyndi said she has done this before, so it doesn't seem so far fetched as I was first thinking. The bride was complaining about how bad her mother is messing in all of the plans, so perhaps she told her to get this sample from me, so she could see, and taste it. She didn't attend the tasting, so maybe that is where this is coming from....I could email her a picture of the scroll work, and the dots that go with it on some parchment paper.....(Isn't that mean and unprofessional?!)
icon_rolleyes.giftapedshut.gif

Brownie1954 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 25

indydebi...your post are always so informative and helpful, or are just downright funny! icon_razz.gif

You hit the nail on the head about one thing....When she asked if she could get this cake, she looked embarassed, and stuttered around on why she needs it....She said "if you would have just a few minutes in July to do this...." icon_eek.gif WHAT?
How many of you get your cakes done in a few minutes? Am I missing a cake baking method here, that I don't know about? Please.... someone fill me in on these "few minute cakes!"

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 25

icon_surprised.gif i just dont understand people - i think it comes down to them thinking they are doing you a favour ordering a cake in the first place!!! they act like you should be grateful that they are ordering the cake and therefore should cater to every whim!

i have this issue with a family member, she doesnt realise that i am running a business and each cake i do takes between 5-7 hours to make plus they dont just cost a couple of eggs and a little flour - she said the other day she had an order for me note: "An Order" - turns out she wanted 2 - yes 2!!! 10 inch square cakes with full decorations to give to a friend for her birthday (its a big party), but get this - for free!!! now for immediate family member birthdays i do them for free and if they were for friends etc id give a little discount but the idea of me using £35 of ingredients and about 12 hours work for someone's birthdat i dont even know and then for this family member to act like she was doing me a favour - man was i mad!!!!! my hubby stepped in and now im doing 1 10inch square for £20 which i can just about cope with icon_rolleyes.gif

Ive said it before and il say it again - Cake Muggles - grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

do not under any circumstances do this cake for free, its a mini wedding cake - its hours of work, ingredients, hassle, could mean you have to turn down paid orders for that week, etc. if she wants a mini cake then she orders it, pays for it and collects it. so there!!

Bakin-mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakin-mom Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 25

I have a few minute cake recipe, but I don't know that you would bother decorating it. It is delicious warm with ice cream.
4 Tbsp. Flour
4 Tbsp. Sugar
3 Tbsp. Oil
3 Tbsp. Milk
1 Egg
2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
Splash of Vanilla
3 Tbsp. Chocolate chips (optional)
Mix all ingredients well in a large mug(microwave-safe). Cook for in 1000 Watt microwave for 3 minutes. Let cool a couple minutes in the mug and turn out. Depending on the shape of your mug, it could look like a mini-cake. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 25

Definitely don't send her a pic...gives her time to pick it apart and try to weasel out a reason for a refund...

If she doesn't trust you to make her the cake she ordered, then she shouldn't have hired you.

If she wants to order a cake with the same design, great....money talks.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 25

I wouldn't charge her.... but then again, I would never do something like this, either.

If you make this for her you might be opening a real can o' worms here. Fix that, the color wasn't EXACTLY right, that swag was 3 millimeters off, etc.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 25

Na, see I would have just told her sure. The smallest size I would be able to do it in is XXX and it serves XX so the price is $$$.

If she wants a 'sample' then she's gonna pay for it.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 25

Why would one cake (the wedding cake) have a fee and the other one (sample) be free? It's all cake, right? They're made with ingredients and time that you provide, right? As one of the other posters said, my time is your money (and my ingredients are your money). I'd do it for her, but it would cost her. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like my cake to be a surprise for everyone at the wedding. I wouldn't want a smaller version at my shower and then have everyone say, "Oh yea, there it is again," at my wedding.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakin-mom

I have a few minute cake recipe, but I don't know that you would bother decorating it. It is delicious warm with ice cream.
4 Tbsp. Flour
4 Tbsp. Sugar
3 Tbsp. Oil
3 Tbsp. Milk
1 Egg
2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
Splash of Vanilla
3 Tbsp. Chocolate chips (optional)
Mix all ingredients well in a large mug(microwave-safe). Cook for in 1000 Watt microwave for 3 minutes. Let cool a couple minutes in the mug and turn out. Depending on the shape of your mug, it could look like a mini-cake. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Not to sound like a total dumbass, but does that really work out alright? If so, it might be fun to do w/my niece...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 25

Bwahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Whew! That was funny. 'Cause when I read the subject line "I'm going to charger her..." I thought you meant, "I'm gonna run her over with a Dodge Charger".

Hee hee.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 25

I would call her and say. "So I'm a little confused about this other cake you want. Is it for a shower, do you just want it to see your design, am I missing something?" Then as Debi suggests...let her talk. She may just want to get a visual on her cake.

It is really hard to visualize what a wedding cake will really look like from a sketch. Maybe it's like having a pic of your dress, you look at it, think about how pretty the day is going to be....maybe she just want to do a little advance wedding day dreaming? I would still charge her, but maybe you could do it on a styrofoam dummy and just charge her for the decorating and send the pic.

Brownie1954 Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 25

Haaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhaaaaaaa......I didn't even realize I spelled that wrong....I can be such a knuckle head....But what Jamie said doesn't sound too bad...Just rev up the engine and send her packing up the street......
This web site is so much fun. I really appreciate what everyone has said. I am not going to do it, as it was pointed out to me too that she may very pick the pooh out of it, and tell me how much is wrong with it. And this is the very thing I thought of as she was asking for it...."If she trust me to do her cake, why then is she asking for this one?"
Cathy....sounds like you have your hands full with what I "cake dummies"
Haaaaahaaaaahaaaa I think I made a funny!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 25

That recipe does work. I make it in a cereal bowl, and without the oil as I find it's too greasy. For a change try maple syrup as part of the liquid, and omit chips and cocoa.

Brownie1954 Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #20 of 25

Bakin Mom....I plan on trying your recipe...It sounds interesting and fun to do. Thanks for providing it! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:06pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

icon_surprised.gif i just dont understand people - i think it comes down to them thinking they are doing you a favour ordering a cake in the first place!!! they act like you should be grateful that they are ordering the cake and therefore should cater to every whim!

This is exactly right... people think they're doing you a favor to "give" you the business. I've had neighbors show up the night before a kid's birthday asking for a cake for the next day, and they always say "I just thought I'd give you the business." They're trying to give me the business all right...Not in the way they think, though!

Yeah, I just sit around here all day, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for a stray cake order

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

icon_lol.gif oh, funny, pardon me while I reach for my asthma inhaler, whew, ok. no sorry, wait not done laughing yet! hahahha,hooo,haaa, ha ha, oh, wow!

ok, I'm good.

Cake muggles! too funny!

But I agree, the average person has no idea, what baking is hard work? One box mix won't feed 100 wedding guests? You can't just slap layers together? Sure my wedding dress cost $1200, but cake, now that should be free! I recently educated a friend by inviting her to a decorating session, she left an enlightend woman.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicconfections

Quote:
Quote:

But I agree, the average person has no idea, what baking is hard work? One box mix won't feed 100 wedding guests? You can't just slap layers together? Sure my wedding dress cost $1200, but cake, now that should be free! I recently educated a friend by inviting her to a decorating session, she left an enlightend woman.

Exactly. Cake civilians think, "Well, I buy a box from the store, mix it up and slap some store bought icing on it for less than $5, and about 30 minutes of work(including baking time). Why does the cake lady take days to make a cake?"

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:12am
post #24 of 25

[quote="costumeczar"][quote="Cathy24"]icon_surprised.gif i just dont understand people - i think it comes down to them thinking they are doing you a favour ordering a cake in the first place!!! they act like you should be grateful that they are ordering the cake and therefore should cater to every whim!

[/quote]

This is exactly right... people think they're doing you a favor to "give" you the business. I've had neighbors show up the night before a kid's birthday asking for a cake for the next day, and they always say "I just thought I'd give you the business." They're trying to give me the business all right...Not in the way they think, though!

Yeah, I just sit around here all day, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for a stray cake order[/quote]

totally know what you mean, i had this lady in work who asked me for a price to do an 8inch cake with a sugarcraft tuba on top - i said £25 which i know is really really cheap but im only starting out and want to get as much practice as possible. she looked at me and started hmmming and haaaaaing and then asked how much it would be just for the TUBA!!!!! icon_surprised.gif the tuba would take me a couple of hours and she was expecting me to make it for like £5 because £25 was just to much to spend on a cake that would take me around 6 hours to make. and then for me to try to transport a gumpaste tuba into work for her to put on top of a supermarket cake that would cost about £7 - so all that to save £10?? i went back to her later and said sorry, one of my other orders had changed date and i was booked up that week but she was really not pleased as she thought i should be so grateful that she thought of me icon_cry.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #25 of 25

if i made wedding cakes lol wouldn't give her a picture, she might be trying to see if someone else can do it cheaper. and i'd ask like everybody else said. she's paid up, and i would charge her for the cake, you have to do the same work as you would on the larger cake. so i would get your money out of it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%