Actual Email I Got Yesterday...

Business By robinscakes Updated 27 May 2009 , 10:16pm by Cakebelle

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:05pm
post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

Yea, the whole thing is crazy. I'm glad everyone who's responded thinks the same way and it's not just me!

I just don't understand the 300 guest wedding at a VERY expensive venue and then the nerve to ask for a $200 bakery budget. Did the bride go to the dress shop saying "I really want a special dress, and I priced dresses at Dress Barn and saw that they're selling a simple design for $59.99. I'm looking for someone with a generous heart who will work with my $60 budget and sell me that special dress." I'm sure that this venue did not cut them a deal, either, unless they're family or owed a favor of some sort. Why is it always the baker who is expected to drop her price?

I noticed that too....I worked for a high end caterer for a year...the BASE price per head was $95 but most were higher...so you are looking at over $20,000 for a wedding. And so many times the brides would haggle over the price of the cake...over a couple hundred bucks! Actually just this week got a last minute cake order from a customer at that same caterer, who wanted to go "outside" to get a cake to save a few bucks per serving. I'm doing it (my old boss at the catering place thanked me for taking it off his hands!) but it gets me how they can pay enough to buy a nice car, for a wedding, and yet get miffed because the decorator wants THAT MUCH???? for a customized, nice wedding cake to serve 200.

Whatever.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #32 of 76

Sheesh...the amount of effort to word such a lousy email...he/she rather learn to bake themselves a love filled wedding cake in that much time!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #33 of 76

Do they really offer a 2 tier cake at Wal~Mart for 24.99?

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #34 of 76

You should e-mail them back and send them Wal-mart's phone number telling them if that is the price they want to pay then that is the cheapest place they'll find it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Do they really offer a 2 tier cake at Wal~Mart for 24.99?

I don't know but recently someone I know ordered a two tiered cake from a bakery....and the tiers were not separated by a board or anything...you just sliced right through the whole thing. icon_confused.gif

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #36 of 76

if they want plain sheet cakes tell them to take there little two hundred dollars to costco....should have budgeted better if they wanted a really professional to make there cakes.....

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:58pm
post #37 of 76

I think you should respond saying

"Thank you for considering me to be a part of your event. While I do have a generous heart, I also have a mortgage and children to feed and can not make a cake for you that I will lose money on. The $24.99 cake at Walmart is probably your best option. Congrats & Good luck!"

That is if you have children. I have a son so I will play the child card if someone tries this with me.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #38 of 76

You know, there is something I'm dying to try...

Customer comes in and says they can get a 'decent' two tiered cake from WalMart for $39.99, let's say. I say, sure, no problem, I can give you the same thing.

I buy two walmart sheet cakes, slap one on top of the other, et voila. I simply don't understand why tight buns customer looks so angry. I gave them exactly what they described.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Customer comes in and says they can get a 'decent' two tiered cake from WalMart for $39.99, let's say. I say, sure, no problem, I can give you the same thing.

I simply don't understand why tight buns customer looks so angry. I gave them exactly what they described.

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:21pm
post #40 of 76

I had a meeting with someone that wanted the "Kyle Stadium" groom's cake. She showed me the pic and asked me what that would cost her? $3000? I told her, "Just about."

She also showed that to another bakery and the guy told her at least $1100.00. She told him she couldn't go over $700. icon_eek.gif He almost considered it!!! But decided it was too time consuming.

She picked out a different design.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #41 of 76

You're gonna die when you hear this...if you don't already know. At Sam's Club (probably Walmart too), you can buy a box of 8 frozen 8" round cakes for $13.00. I know because I had a cake disaster and had 2 hours to "fix" it and get it back to the reception site. Four 1/2 sheets are the same price and a 5 gallon bucket of their buttercream is $31.00. No wonder they can sell cakes so cheap!!

It's a brides dream place to shop for a wedding cake icon_smile.gif

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:43pm
post #42 of 76

First of all .... a simple 2 tier from Wal-mart cost $77 And a 3 tier $140... the cakes at publix are childrens cakes and the fall apart very easy and they start at $30 and go up from there. I was the Manager of our local Wal-mart bakery and left because of some of the things I saw practiced there... they sickened me. I vowed never to let anyone in my family buy another cake from a supermarket... so I started making them at come. icon_smile.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

We are really easy to get along with and are not picky.

icon_surprised.gif

Run far, far away from these people.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:05am
post #44 of 76

icon_confused.gif HAHAHA Too funny!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #45 of 76

Very funny. I could think of 100 different responses for them, but would probably end up just saying, "I cannot work with your budget, best wishes."

Just to add, I have had *1* bride tell me that money was no object and she wanted the most amazing wedding cake EVER for 300 people. And then ordered The most awesome Redskins themed grooms cake to serve 80, again, no budget!! She's coming up in august. She emailed me a few days ago and asked if I was available that week to do her bridal luncheon cake as well, I was like, honey, I booked off the whole week for you, I am yours icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Very funny. I could think of 100 different responses for them, but would probably end up just saying, "I cannot work with your budget, best wishes."

Just to add, I have had *1* bride tell me that money was no object and she wanted the most amazing wedding cake EVER for 300 people. And then ordered The most awesome Redskins themed grooms cake to serve 80, again, no budget!! She's coming up in august. She emailed me a few days ago and asked if I was available that week to do her bridal luncheon cake as well, I was like, honey, I booked off the whole week for you, I am yours icon_smile.gif

oh man oh man oh man oh man I'd pee my pants!! And yeah, you sure better book that whole week for her! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #47 of 76

"We're on a budget"....but only when it comes to cake?

Sure you can get last year's dress at 65% off....I could give you last year's cake too. (If I can find it in my freezer) If you want today's cake...it's full price.

I love when people say "I'm on a fixed income" like everyone else can just call down money from the sky.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #48 of 76

w-o-w. try trimming down the damn guest list!

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #49 of 76

I think you should accidentally forward a link to this thread. icon_lol.gif

That ought to fix her cheap little ***! Oops, did I really just say that? tapedshut.gif

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

I think you should accidentally forward a link to this thread. icon_lol.gif

That ought to fix her cheap little ***! Oops, did I really just say that? tapedshut.gif

Wouldn't that be funny? How about something like this: "I wasn't sure how to handle your request so I asked some other professionals in the baking community and I've attached a copy of their advice to me."

Ohh, if I only had more nerve!!!

Melvira Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Ok...what is with these brides who say they are one a shoestring budget, but are having a wedding for 300!!! Someone needs to slap them upside the head until they are knocked back to reality!! Really!

Not to be cynical, but for a lot of people who are perhaps not footing then entire bill, (or any of it) it can be a matter of $. Boring sheet cakes for 300 from Walmart is under $100. An average gift value of say $50 per guest/couple (not including larger cash gifts from closer relatives)... need I say more?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #52 of 76

[quote="cocorum21"]I think you should respond saying

"Thank you for considering me to be a part of your event. While I do have a generous heart, I also have a mortgage and children to feed and can not make a cake for you that I will lose money on. The $24.99 cake at Walmart is probably your best option. Congrats & Good luck!"

quote]

I may try this one. Love it!

indydebi Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #53 of 76

Do people really think about the value of the gifts they may get in comparison to what they are spending per-person at the reception? I've just never heard anyone bring this up except in magz articles. And I can't really say I've met anyone who actually breaks down the total cost of a wedding to a per-person "money spent" to compare it to "gifts rec'd".

Just asking ...... icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Do people really think about the value of the gifts they may get in comparison to what they are spending per-person at the reception? I've just never heard anyone bring this up except in magz articles. And I can't really say I've met anyone who actually breaks down the total cost of a wedding to a per-person "money spent" to compare it to "gifts rec'd".

Just asking ...... icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't think your average person does, but those pamperred little trolls that know Daddy is paying for the whole thing... they get a free party and a whole bunch of presents.

Example... *SOMEONE I KNOW* got married, the marriage lasted 9 months barely. A year later she got married again. Yep, white dress, huge party, expected another full set of gifts from everyone, etc. Then the bridal party when out bar hopping between the church and the reception, while the ENTIRE guest list sat there waiting. They wouldn't serve food, they wouldn't play music, they wouldn't do anything until bridal party arrived. TWO. HOURS. LATER. Half the guests left. Some even took their presents with them. You've never been to a party with such a bad vibe. Slap a cash bar on top of that and people were just pissy.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #55 of 76

Oh Indy, you know what people are capable of. icon_smile.gif I think there are couples that really do that. Some people come up with their guest list that way. "okay...in order to come out on top we need to have 300 show up at a minimum $30 gift each and really work that cake lady!"

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #56 of 76

I've never thought of that either. I can't imagine a couple saying "If we invite 300 people, and each of them gives us $50, and we budget $10,000 for the wedding...we'll be making $5,000!" A new all-time-high in tackiness!

indydebi Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #57 of 76

wow, there are days that I just feel like a country bumpkin! icon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

wow, there are days that I just feel like a country bumpkin! icon_razz.gif

Are you a slack jawed yokel today?? Aw, it's alright. I love ya for bein' all non-material and innocent! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif But yah, there are your cynical cold hard cashers out there.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #59 of 76

wow, sometimes people amaze me. I had a similar experience lately, and they wanted the same thing, pretty much. cake for 350 guests and were looking to pay about $100. I posted the whole scenario, the real joke was, just yesterday the 'poor me' bride asked for pics of cakes i have done! she wants me to do a super cheap, take a $400 loss cake and wants references! Not doing it, she can have sheet cakes for that price but nothing else! Don't fall for it, I wouldn't even reply.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #60 of 76

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I do not work with people like this. Period. It isn't because of the price, but the attitude. When people start that stuff, I can give you great referrals if you do exactly what I say BS, then I am suddenly booked. Yech.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%