Actual Email I Got Yesterday...

Business By robinscakes Updated 27 May 2009 , 10:16pm by Cakebelle

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 76

This is an actual email I got yesterday and thought it was funny...funny in a what-the-heck sort of way.

Email:
My name is XXX XXXXX and I am looking to get some prices on different cake ideas for 8-22-08. I am getting married on that day, however we are not looking to buy a 'wedding cake'. I have noticed that when the word "wedding" is brought up, some cake makers will double a quote right in mid conversation. I asked a lady in Canton to price us out 3 sheet cakes to feed approx 300 people and the price was $150 delivered and she was going to end up doing 4 sheet cakes for us to feed the 300 people instead of 3 huge sheet cakes. Then she asked if it was for a wedding and when I told her yes, her whole tone changed and with a major attitude she told me the price was $3.00 per person for wedding cakes, no exceptions. It went downhill from there very quickly so that phone call ended by me hanging up because her attitude was so bad I could hardly stand talking to her.

With that said and out of the way I am hoping to see if maybe we could work out some sort deal that would bring you in some great business, possible referrals, etc... I am trying to find someone that will make us a very basic, nothing fancy, 2 tier cake that would feed approx 15 people (our wedding party to be specific and that is all, literally 10 people). Not a big cake at all and I have see a few pretty nice designs at Meijers, Kroger, Walmart, etc... for just under $24.99 for a cake that small. So I figured we can get a professional baker to do something a little more nice for a few bucks more. Then we are going to just have 3-4 sheet cakes in the back ( very basic, nothing fancy at all, just chocolate cake with chocolate frosting) that we will have the servers at (reception venue), cut up and serve to our guests after dinner.

So, in a nut shell, I would like to get a few sheet cakes so that we can feed approx 300 people. Then we would like to come in and see what kind of quality skills you have in designing "birthday cakes" that would feed 15-20 people max. We would skip the whole "happy birthday" theme and use fresh or edible flowers and fruit to decorate it instead of having it scream "happy birthday" all over it.

Is this something you would be interested in doing for us? We have a max budget of $200 set for our cake/cakes and since we are paying for it ourselves, we really need someone with a generous heart that would help us out and cut us a break on some cake. We figure $150 worth of plain jane sheet cakes would easily cover the crowd, and that leaves us $50 to be creative and design a cake that would feed 10-15 people that is a little more exciting than a sheet cake.

Please give me a call if you would be so kind and consider working with us. We are really easy to get along with and are not picky. We just want our wedding day to be special and with most people getting lucky and having their parents pay for the wedding, we are not that lucky so budget is really limiting our cake options. I hope you understand and hope you don't think we are total cheap asses looking for a hand out. We understand we are not going to get a Wedding cake that is going to "wow the crowd", we just want our guests to have a little sugar before we hit the dance floor and finish the night off.

My phone number is XXX-XXXX. If you are not interested at all, you can just send me an email and let me down nice and easy icon_sad.gif I appreciate your consideration and and hopefully we can work something out. Thank you.

(And just to fill you in completely, the reception venue--whose name I left out of the email--is VERY expensive. I would say his description of "cheap asses" is pretty accurate)

75 replies
Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 76

Delete it!!!!!!

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 76

so.... are you going to work with them?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 76

Reply...I'm sorry I am booked!Cheap Asses...YUP!! Don't fall for speech.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 76

OMG how tacky, dont even respond. There are so many aspects of this e-mail that just scream stay away!!!!!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 76

I would move that email to my junk box so any other email would go there as well. Just move on.....Next please!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 76

Delete it. Then empty your deleted email folder.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 76

Isn't it funny when customers can answer their own questions, but still waste your time and ask anyway??

They got their answer when they mentioned "Meijers, Kroger, Walmart, etc... " in their email.

People are desperate to get something for nothing these days!!! Hmmmph!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 76

So they want sheet cakes at $.50 a serving, huh? I don't know about you, but I would lose money doing that, just on ingredients & supplies. Nice of him to offer you referrals, I would imagine he's right, people would knock down your door for that price! Are you supposed to feel sorry for them that the parents aren't footing the bill, but they're still inviting 300 people?! Crazy.

robinscakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingmadcow

so.... are you going to work with them?

You betcha! Can't wait to work with them. They sound like a dream!

Of course I'm kidding. I sent my price list and said that those are my prices, bottom line. Haven't heard back yet, probably won't. I thought it was worth responding to because they'll either realize that you can't get cake for that price and they'll actually have to open their wallets, or they'll go to Walmart.

I also thought it was funny that he said that he would like to "come in and see what kind of quality skills" I have in cake decorating. Seriously? You're going to audition me to make your cheap-a$$ cake??? I don't think so!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 76

Okay, I can say that he had my sympathy on the first part of the email. I'm sorry, the price should not be changing for the cakes just because of the venue--which just means that she should have been charging them $3/slice in the first place, IMO, if she's going to say "no exceptions."

But....then he lost my sympathy entirely with the whole, "We think YOU should give us $150 for 4 sheet cakes and then on top of that you should make a two-tiered wedding cake for $50!"

I think you should reply with, "I'm sorry, I can't make the cakes you want at that price. My cakes cost x amount per serving, plus x per hour for additional decoration."

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 76

A riot! We went sheet cake for our wedding - once upon a time. The bakery knew it was for our wedding, and didn't throw us the 'tude and higher price for it. That was nice...though I did have the issue when it came to cleaning my 'wedding dress', even though it was just a long party dress, not the meringue type of traditional gown. It was $17 til they heard the W word and it became $65. But I threw my own fit and it was $17 afterall! lol

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 76

I have a minimum price on a wedding cake of $150.00....period!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 76

I read this and made my breakfast so I could think of a good enough response, you know something Debi level sarcastic. I think I am just too dumb founded to come up with anything.

Where is Debi when I need her? I could use her wit for a laugh this morning!!!

Just because a wedding cake cost more than a party cake doesn't mean the baker is trying to rip someone off. There are additional expenses that go into a wedding cake. Think tastings, consults, delivery/set up time, etc. I don't charge separately for those things they are factored into the cost. Plus my wedding cakes are done differently- 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling for instance. So yes, they cost more. I don't do sheet cakes either way.

I can't believe they are "offering" you the "opportunity" to make them a cheap cake that you will lose money on so they can pass all those valuable "referrals" on to you. Sheesh!

I have nothing against the budget, I had one for my wedding. We had a simple wedding and a small reception at our church because that is what we could pay for and barely that. A budget is great but the reality is that if you can't afford to invite 300 people then don't. If you can't afford an expensive venue then don't book it, that goes for all aspects of the event. If you've got it, that's great too!

Don't expect a vendor to compromise themselves so you can have "your day" that you can't pay for.

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 76

Thanks for the good laugh. People are so crazy.

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 76

its funny how the date says 8-22-08...that was last year!

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #17 of 76

OMG!! I about died! I do run into this whole conflict of pricing wedding cakes vs party cakes every so often. Had a lady call last night wanting a two tiered cake to feed just 10 ppl. And she wanted it very detailed with lots of bells and whistles. I told her the smallest two tiered that I do is a 8" and 6". I knew I wasn't going to get her order when I told her the price because I don't price my party tiered cakes differently than a wedding tiered cake. They are both for parties! She immediately went from that to wanting two dozen cupcakes. lol I also do my sheet cakes all the same way so that if it's for a wedding, graduation, birthday, whatever, they are always the same price. I would never want to be accused of jacking up prices just because it's for a wedding!
To the O.P. I would run like hell! As I was reading the email I kept waiting for it to end and it just kept dragging on and on! These people are nutts!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 76

thumbsdown.gif - Except for the name of the other cake outlets - this is just about word for word of an email 3 of my freinds and i got - way over here in Oz.
And two of my friends don't have anything to do with cakes - apparently our address were picked up from one of those blasted *feel good - hug a fairey a day* emails. icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif that people *cc* you in on - thumbsdown.gif
We all deleted and blocked the senders domain from our pc's.
then TWO DAYS LATER one of my friends heard on the radio about a scam going around - once you reply to the email - they then send unwanted spam - and then helloooooooo your pc is doomed.

Hope that you have blocked *their* email addy from your pc.
Sounds like a scam to me - either way. icon_wink.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #19 of 76

AH - HAHAHAHAHA!

I'd tell you that you posted this to the wrong forum, but we don't have a Joke of the Day section yet! icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 76

I can't believe you wouldn't jump at this opportunity... I mean, especially when he questions your skills, explains how he hung up on another baker for giving him a reasonable quote, and then points out that he's not really *that* picky... what's not to love?

But seriously, that's why I have one price for cakes. I mean, I have different levels of price, I don't charge the same for a sheet cake as I do for a tiered cake, but I charge the same for a sheet cake regardless of WHY they are ordering it. It's all based on the size, shape, ingredients, amount of work, it has nothing to do with WHY they are ordering it. I could care less if they are serving a plain sheet cake at their wedding or a glorious five tiered masterpiece with intricate pipework for their birthday. thumbs_up.gif same price for each cake either way.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #21 of 76

Dear Cheap Asses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

I have noticed that when the word "wedding" is brought up, some cake makers will double a quote right in mid conversation.

You won't find that with me. I have one price for cakes regardless of what you call them.

Quote:

With that said and out of the way I am hoping to see if maybe we could work out some sort deal that would bring you in some great business, possible referrals, etc...

Regardless of what is paid for the cake, I ALWAYS get referrals from weddings.

Quote:

I am trying to find someone that will make us a very basic, nothing fancy, 2 tier cake that would feed approx 15 people

I can't make a 2-tier cake to serve 15 people. Smallest is a 6", 8" which will serve 36.

Quote:

I have see a few pretty nice designs at Meijers, Kroger, Walmart, etc... for just under $24.99 for a cake that small.

Sounds like the best deal you're going to find.

Quote:

So, in a nut shell, I would like to get a few sheet cakes so that we can feed approx 300 people.

Then we would like to come in and see what kind of quality skills you have in designing "birthday cakes" that would feed 15-20 people max.

My smallest cake serves 35. And my "quality skills" can be viewed on my website. And I don't do appointments for a lousy 35-person cake.

Quote:

We have a max budget of $200 set for our cake/cakes ... We figure $150 worth of plain jane sheet cakes would easily cover the crowd...

How did you figure that? $150 will only buy you cake for 100 from me. If you need sheets for 300, you need an ADDITIONAL $300.

Quote:

We are really easy to get along with and are not picky.

You're kidding, right?

Quote:

We just want our wedding day to be special ...

and that makes you different from everyone else HOW????

Quote:

and with most people getting lucky and having their parents pay for the wedding, we are not that lucky so budget is really limiting our cake options.

who told you that? According to most articles on the subject, couples are growing up and footing the bill for their party themselves instead of looking for a handout from mom and dad .... and their cake lady!!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #22 of 76

Ha haa!! I just got back from Girl Guide camp, opened my email, and found my own "so where is the candid camera hiding?" email from a customer waiting for me (although not as bad as your's!). I got a good laugh from your's, so I think that I won't answer mine...instead I'll just go take a nap! icon_rolleyes.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:32pm
post #23 of 76

Ok...what is with these brides who say they are one a shoestring budget, but are having a wedding for 300!!! Someone needs to slap them upside the head until they are knocked back to reality!! Really!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Ok...what is with these brides who say they are one a shoestring budget, but are having a wedding for 300!!! Someone needs to slap them upside the head until they are knocked back to reality!! Really!

I'm really REALLY close to making a sign to hang that says, "Don't tell me you're on a budget ..... EVERYONE is."

I've never had a bride walk in and tell me, "Price is no object! Sky's the limit!" Hard to believe, huh? I'm still waiting on her .... but not holding my breathe.

Seriously, when a couple tells me, "We're on a budget", I tell them, "Congratulations, that means you're normal ..... it makes you just like every couple that walks in here."

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #25 of 76

Just speachless, the nerve of some people!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm really REALLY close to making a sign to hang that says, "Don't tell me you're on a budget ..... EVERYONE is."

Or you could put, "I know, I know. You're on a budget!" icon_rolleyes.gif And don't forget that eye roll!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #27 of 76

"Hello, I really need someone with a generous heart to give me a 2009 Mustang convertible for $1500."

thumbs_up.gif

I don't mind the budget, but it sure kills me when people act like they need the red carpet treatment (tastings, sketches, personalized attention) for a 15 serving cake. Geez, go to the local bakery for that!

I had an email this week, sending me a website and an (ugly) cake they wanted for graduation...it was from a site in North Carolina and the quote they received (from North Carolina) was like 1/3 of the price they would be charged here near Philly, because of cost of living. Plus the person who owned the site looked like they had maybe...well the cakes were cute but the icing was not real smooth and it looked like they maybe had a bit less experience. Cakes weren't all straight, stuff like that. Anyway I replied giving them my quote and all, explaining that the area AND experience made cakes differ widely in price....they responded that they were "entertaining other bids" and would get back with me.

I'm bidding for a graduation cake job? icon_confused.gif An ugly design at that??? icon_confused.gif

Ohhhhh kay.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #28 of 76

Oh boy. If I got something like this I think I would need a serious time-out before answering.... just to calm myself down.

Why doesn't anyone ever teach these couples that the easiest way to keep costs down is to invite fewer people? Invite 50 instead of 300. Sheesh.

robinscakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #29 of 76

Yea, the whole thing is crazy. I'm glad everyone who's responded thinks the same way and it's not just me!

I just don't understand the 300 guest wedding at a VERY expensive venue and then the nerve to ask for a $200 bakery budget. Did the bride go to the dress shop saying "I really want a special dress, and I priced dresses at Dress Barn and saw that they're selling a simple design for $59.99. I'm looking for someone with a generous heart who will work with my $60 budget and sell me that special dress." I'm sure that this venue did not cut them a deal, either, unless they're family or owed a favor of some sort. Why is it always the baker who is expected to drop her price?

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #30 of 76

I don't understand some of these brides... they say they're on a budget but they invite 300 people to their wedding... When I was getting married, my husband and I were paying for the event, so naturally it was on a strict budget. I stuck my invites to 100 and no more. Altho I would've wanted to make my own cake at that time, but was advised by my sisters not to do it, I opted for the venue's cake...it turned out that their baker was really good and I had a 2-tiered cake that was awesome. It was simple but I just asked my florists for add'l flowers to put on the cake. And everyone still had a grand time.... up to this date (5yrs. later) they are talking about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%