Realistic Edible Butterflies Question??

Decorating By diane Updated 25 May 2009 , 12:14am by CanadianCakin

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 9

has anyone done them...and if so...how far in advance can you make them before putting them on a cake??? icon_confused.gif

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 9

One can make wafer paper (sometimes called rice paper) b'flies. They are easy and very real looking. They can be made months in advanced.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 9

I ordered mine from fancyflours...you can see the picture of the cake I did with them in my photos. I actually used them on two cakes, but the second was so similar to the first I didn't post it here.
You can make them very far in advance if you want. They're easy to do, but cutting them out took a lot longer than I thought they would!

Jodie

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 9

You can make them with gelatin - they really look nice, and you can keep them a long time too. I have never seen any that look as pretty and real as these do. I am posting the link to the instructions for the bows and flowers, the butterflies are the same technique.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630413.html

Here is one I made from using this technique:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1361256

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 9

I'm looking for the same thing, since I have a large cake that needs to be covered in butterflies. I've seen the gealtin ones but I pefer the look of the wafer paper, thin and natural looking. Does anyone have any tips or ideas they can share with us. I pm someone but she hasn't gotten back to me, that was last week too.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #6 of 9

The gelatin ones are the thinnest ones I have ever seen, as thin as rice paper, IMO. (and easier to work with) I apologize - the one in my pics is the first one I made, after doing a few of them, they look much nicer.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #7 of 9

on the site that we can,t mention.. you know.. sugar..... craft..... com.. but you put the words together... don,t know if this will go thru... she sells them.. and on the site... tells you exactly how they are done...hth

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 9

You cut out the wafer paper ones, bend them gently, paint them in piping gel and put in an egg carton to let them dry and hold their shape. Then I used edible glitters and dusts to paint mine.
What else do you want to know about doing them?

Jodie

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #9 of 9

There is a tutorial on the rice paper butterflies on this site. I tried them for the first time last week foe a cupcake bouquet and they turned out great..I just followed the tutorial....
http://www.cakecentral.com/article16-How-To-Make-Realistic-Edible-Butterflies.html

HTH,
Ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%