Once You Go Sugarshack, There's No Going Back!

Decorating By kyoung24 Updated 25 May 2009 , 8:04pm by raquel1

kyoung24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyoung24 Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 16

I just got done icing and stacking my first wedding cake. I popped in the Sugarshack Buttercream video into my laptop, set it beside the cake and started icing 3 tiers! It turned out great! Never have I had that smooth of icing! So psyched!! Once they were all iced, I popped in the stacking DVD had everything stacked and leveled in under 10 minutes! I am hooked on Sugarshack's instruction videos! Her videos are every cent worth the money. Even my husband watched them with me when I first got them. He then went out the next day and bought me whatever tools she used that I didn't have! thank you sweety!

Now, Let's keep our fingers crossed that everything goes well tomorrow in the 1 hour transport of the cake!

Thank you Sugarshack!!

15 replies
dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 16

I totally agree!!! I have been decorating for years and have NEVER seen instructional videos as good as hers! Now, just to get that icing of mine to behave. I live in GA and I am dying to get some of the high ratio shortening because using an all butter icing here in the heat and humidity is murder!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 16

I ditto everything said above an can't wait for the Topsy Turvey DVD! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 16

I'm with toni on that! Sharon is extremely talented and I love her blog too! I've pre=order the topsy turvy already and can't wait....only a couple of weeks more.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 16

I love her videos too. I have every single one of them. I use her icing techniques with SMBC and I've just tried her BC with 50-50 butter and shortening. It came out great and works like a charm. I love it that I dont have to figure out in between happenings how she did certain things. She shows you everything. Saves me hours of work.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 16

she's making a topsy turvy dvd?? I may have to invest in that!!!!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

I love her videos too. I have every single one of them. I use her icing techniques with SMBC and I've just tried her BC with 50-50 butter and shortening. It came out great and works like a charm. I love it that I dont have to figure out in between happenings how she did certain things. She shows you everything. Saves me hours of work.

I'm a SMBC user and thought I couldn't use that DVD. So everything works the same, as far as technique? I don't have the smoothing or stacking DVD's -yet!
I love her non-edited shots of everything, and how she fixes her very few boo-boos. We love you Sharon thumbs_up.gif

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 16

I just got my first video from her on Fondant and can't wait to have some uninterruped time to watch it. I'm sure I'll be ordering more from all the good things I read here about them.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 16

I can't say enough about Sharon's videos. I have all of them and wouldn't trade them for anything.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 16

This thread convinced me that it's time for those videos, so I ordered the buttercream and stacking ones last night. I DO hope they come quickly - HUGE wedding (over 400 guests) and groom's cakes (2) looming SOON on my horizon! Thanks, everyone, for the nudge to finally buy these. PAT

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 16

I didn't know she was coming out with a topsy turvy, with her instruction I'll finally be able to make one! Can't wait, I specially love her fondant dvd, priceless!!
(going straight to her site to look for the topsy turvy one)

jenna86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna86 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #12 of 16

Where can you get these dvds?

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #13 of 16

sugaredproductions.com I think.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I'm a SMBC user and thought I couldn't use that DVD. So everything works the same, as far as technique?

Not exactly everything, but you want to fill up your mixing bowl to the top when making BC. I use hot spatula and scraper, which eliminates more airbubbles from the BC (not too too hot though), I build up the sides, and measure the hight with a ruler, I go down to eye level with the cake to make sharp corners. The only thing I can't do with SMBC is the paper towel method. When I use her BC with butter in it, I follow her steps.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a SMBC user and thought I couldn't use that DVD. So everything works the same, as far as technique?

Not exactly everything, but you want to fill up your mixing bowl to the top when making BC. I use hot spatula and scraper, which eliminates more airbubbles from the BC (not too too hot though), I build up the sides, and measure the hight with a ruler, I go down to eye level with the cake to make sharp corners. The only thing I can't do with SMBC is the paper towel method. When I use her BC with butter in it, I follow her steps.

I've tried the Viva method with an ice cold SMBC iced cake, top only. I had to work fast right out of the fridge. It evened out the larger bumps, but then I had to do the hot spatula method to get it perfect. I do a lot of piped basketweave sides with flowers on top to avoid the whole issue of smoothness -and people love the look icon_wink.gif

I also want to try Jennifer Dontz's recipe for white chocolate fondant (from her DVD). If I can master that, and customers like the taste better than plain fondant, I can just crumb coat and follow Sharon Zambito's DVD for fondant techniques. Then the cake will be more durable in these hot summer months for delivery.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #16 of 16

I've been using Michele Foster's fondant, the white chocolate variation and it's fabulous! just adding 6 oz of good white chocolate and substituting the liquid with "white chocolate macadamia nut" coffee creamer, delish icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%