How Do I Apply Luster Dust?

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 23 May 2009 , 6:02pm by CarrieBear

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all!

So I wanted to apply some luster dust to some fondant accents that I am doing on a dummy cake. I have read that you mix it with water or vodka but I was wondering what the ratio was? Does a little go along way or do I need to use more because I am mixing it with liquid?

Also, how far does one tube go? should I pick up a couple tubes? Its an 10", 8", 6" cakes with strips, dots, and a bow on top.

Thanks for your time!

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 11

Mix it with vodka because the alcohol evaporates fast and water will gum down the fondant. Just use a little so that the luster dust is liquid, and test it to see how the color is. If it's too light add more luster dust to the mix, too dark add some more vodka. If you add too much vodka you can just wait a bit and some of it will evaporate. As you're working with it, some of the alcohol will evaporate and you might have to add more vodka to keep it liquid.

You might have good results just using it dry, try that first. Also, if it looks streaky, you can go back and do a dry coat over the wet coat after it's dried. You'll use more if you use it dry, though, so be aware of that if you only have a small amount to work with.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 11

I have mixed it with vodka, but I prefer to use it dry. I think it works better for me.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 11

most of the time I just use a paint brush and put it on dry, I guess it completely depends onthe look you are going for?

on gumpaste pieces I apply it dry then hold over steam for a few seconds and it seals it and gives a shiny appearence, and will not fall off

also used luster dust and petal dust like a water colored paint when mixed with vodka or water, as some one previously said vodka dries faster.

I have used an ice cube tray like a paint tray and put small amounts of dust in them when mixing with vodka, if you dont use all of it then just leave them in there and they will dry, and if you want to use them later you just have to put a little more liquid in there and it will restore them to life later so they dont go to waste.

jodilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodilee Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:35am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

I have used an ice cube tray like a paint tray and put small amounts of dust in them when mixing with vodka, if you dont use all of it then just leave them in there and they will dry, and if you want to use them later you just have to put a little more liquid in there and it will restore them to life later so they dont go to waste.

This is such a great idea!! I have not used dust yet but when I do I will remember this trick so I won't be wasting it. Thanks for the tip!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 May 2009 , 6:14am
post #6 of 11

Thanks! This was really helpful.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 May 2009 , 6:58am
post #7 of 11

I think it works better dry also and I use a very thin artist paint brush to apply it

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:07am
post #8 of 11

Thanks! This was really helpful.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:48am
post #9 of 11

Also, if you use it dry on modelling chocolate you get a REALLY nice metallic look. It's much better than when you put it on fondant or gumpaste.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 11

I used a petal dust with clear vanilla. it dries so fast and when i apply it on fondant it left uneven streaks. i want a silver metallic look, is luster dust better

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 23 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 11

luster dust gives a shimmery look, when I wanted something that gave a shiny silver look I ended up buying edible silver metalic paint

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%