Help!! I Need Help With Stciky Sweaty Fondant

Decorating By MarisaA Updated 23 May 2009 , 2:20am by Momkiksbutt

MarisaA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarisaA Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

OMG!! I could just cry icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I made a cake covered in fondant and froze it last week which I've done many times. This morning I took it from the freezer and put it into the fridge. I just went to check on it and it's sticky and sweaty!!! I used the MMF that I always use.

Please help, this cake is for a special occasion and I can't redo the fondant. Is there anything I can do to correct this

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Thanks

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 7

Take it out and put it on the counter with a fan blowing on it to try to dry it up.

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 7

I read on another thread to use a blow dryer, might try the cool setting first.

bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 7

OMGness... I haven't had that happen either. I wonder if you could gently rub crisco on it??? I know I do that to get ps off of fondant and it does fine. I don't know, I'm shooting in the dark. I feel your anxiety... Hope it works out for you...

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

I have heard that when you take it out of the freezer like that, the fondant will "sweat" ... and if you leave it sit for a bit.... it should be fine. I am not sure how bad it is but I would let it sit out for a bit, possibly dabbing it with a paper towel (gently)...if you have time. I don't think I would rub Crisco on it, as suggested earlier. That might break down the fondant, along with the moisture.....

Be patient.. if you have time.... and the dryer might be your alternative if you run out of time.

MarisaA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarisaA Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 7

thanks for the great advice for my sweaty sticky fondant. I dabbed it with a paper towel and it was still sticky. then I sprinkled some icing sugar on it and it seemed to work. I'll let you know how it looks tomorrow.

Thanks again icon_lol.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

If you live in a humid area, this could be affecting it too. I don't usually recommend freezing a cake after it's decorated like that. You have been lucky so far with the ones you have done I think.

Fondant hates two things, humidity and heat. You got the humidity part this time because of the thawing process. Instead of putting powdered sugar on it, I would use a little cornstarch in a nylon sock. Blot it on, and then use a soft blush brush to remove it again. The corn starch will absorb the moisture and prevent it from becoming sticky again. Sugar will just dissolve and not really "dry out" the fondant.

Whatever you do, don't put it back in the fridge....good luck to you...there's nothing yuckier than wet fondant!! :/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%