A "non Cake" At The Reception Customer!

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 25 May 2009 , 3:02am by Shelle_75

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 17

blah! Instead of a cake she wants 1" round chocolate truffles. It is a honey vanilla truffle with a small buttercream flower on top of each. No idea how many she wants.. I would assume a ton since she is not having a cake. I seriously don't even know how much to charge. Would I go with per pound or per truffle???

16 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 17

considering Lindt chocolate truffles, a mass manufactured product, cost at least 50 cents at the cheapest place I know to find them.....

hand made ones, individually decorated -- at least $1/each if not more...lots more!

tarheelgirl Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 17

That's what I was thinking... $1 per truffle.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 17

honestly you could prob charge more cause its going to take a ton of work to do that many.
If you were to go to a patisserie - even the one in whole foods. Its definitely more than $1 each because they are labor/ time consuming

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 17

I make choc dipped Bailey's truffles and sell them for $1.50 (Canadian) each. That will be a LOT of work - could be a beautiful display though.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 17

My first reaction to this kind of request is no, but it comes out "no problem". Ugh. Ive done a dessert bar and cookies btu never truffles. Except the Bettey Crocker Ultimate Truffles ( box mix stuff ) Cant wait to see that set up! icon_lol.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 17

I would say a MINIMUM of $2-$2.50 each... 1" is a large truffle, and Lindt truffles--while tasty--are NOT handmade and decorated. If you only charge $1 each you are going to be about 25 truffles in when you start kicking yourself in the a$$ for not charging more!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 17

Some speciality chocolate stores were I live charge anywhere from $2~4 depending on the flavour and size. I would charge more.

tarheelgirl Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 17

Hummm.. thanks for the price ranges! I definitely don't even want to do this.. but I cannot say NO. That's my problem.. ALWAYS. =) I am thinking more of $2.00-$2.50. Any lower and I am sure I will be kicking myself in the A$$ for sure!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 17

Godiva sells truffles for $2- $2.50 each, so $1 is really low.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 17

I think at least $2 each for many reasons. Is she expecting 1 per person or 2 per person? Assuming 2 per person that's $4 per "serving" if this was a cake (which would be a ton less work) that would be considered normal to upper normal in my area. Since these are all individually done, that's a huge amt of work. If you really don't want to do them charge her $3 each explain the time consuming issues with these type of items and if she wants them she pays and if she doesn't then you don't have to make them..you win either way...with that logic I say tell her $3.50 eachicon_smile.gif

I hope you get your money for them.

hbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbaker Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #12 of 17

Maybe you won't have to say no if you price them appropriately! icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #13 of 17

Why can't you say no?
If you're going to do it, don't forget to charge for that flower, too.
This recipe only makes 40 truffles. And those are some expensive ingredients.
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/honey-vanilla-chocolate-truffles
# 1 cup honey, preferably floral or acacia
# 1 cup heavy cream
# 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and seeds scraped, pods reserved
# Coarse salt
# 20 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably Valrhona 70 percent cacao), finely chopped
# 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
# Unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (preferably Valrhona), for coating

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 17

I say charge more than you would per cake serving. TONS of work, VERY EXPENSIVE ingredients. If you don't want to do them, you could tell the bride to order truffles from a chocolate shop and just do the flower on top for whatever amount you would charge.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 17

Yeah I was gonna say...why not just buy Lindt or whatever, and add the decorations?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 17

I definitely wouldn't do this myself.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I would say a MINIMUM of $2-$2.50 each... 1" is a large truffle, and Lindt truffles--while tasty--are NOT handmade and decorated. If you only charge $1 each you are going to be about 25 truffles in when you start kicking yourself in the a$$ for not charging more!

Absolutely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%