If You Found The Mff Fondant Soft...

Decorating By margaretb Updated 28 May 2009 , 2:10am by chilz822

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 7

check out the updated recipe. The old recipe said 3 pkg gelatin or 6 tsp. My gelatin comes in packs equal to 1 tbsp, so I was only using 2 packs (1 tbsp = 3 tsp). WELL the updated recipe says 3 TBSP gelatin, so this time I used 3 packs (as I should have tried before but I always do stuff at the last minute and never had time to experiment). It is (probably obviously) much firmer so I could make my figures without them sagging. In fact, I am going to make a grad cake next week, and I might not need to add anything to the fondant to make the board for the cap. Woo hoo!

6 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 7

Thanks for the update!! I always wondered if it was me... icon_biggrin.gif

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 7

I have roses to make for one cake and regular fondant to make for another cake next week, do you think I could use this updated recipe for both? To make the roses do I have to add something to the fondant or will they dry sturdy enough with out it? I can't get anything like Tylose here before next week to add to the flowers...

margaretb Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:19am
post #4 of 7

Well--- it just so happens that I made a couple fondant roses. That was with MFF from a batch before I read the updated recipe. They worked out okay. I have the wilton flower making set that comes with the book, so I just pressed down my fondant (didn't even bother getting a rolling pin out because I wasn't happy to be making this cake), cut out a few petals in each size and then worked them by hand to thin the edges and stuck them on. For the centre part, I just rolled a piece of fondant into a tube about an inch and a half long, made the rose on one end and then squished the other end to be a sort of stand to set the rose up on until it dried. I also took a piece of saran wrap and crinkled it up to make a ring to put the rose in to give it a little gently support. I guess if you want exceedingly thin petals, then maybe it wouldn't work out, but I would for sure make this recipe and give it a try. What I would do (and have done) would be to make a single petal -- see if it gets as thin as you want, then stick to to something or prop it up and see if it dries without sagging. I'm guessing it will be fine. If you are making ribbon roses then I don't see it being a problem. NOT THAT I AM BY ANY MEANS AN EXPERT. Pure amateur and learning as I go.

I just ordered some tylose and satin ice because I am making a book cake and a grad cap this weekend. Miraculously, it arrived today. I didn't care for the Satin Ice at all -- it was vanilla, but a kind of chemically tasting vanilla. And the tiny piece I picked off to play with didn't seem much different than my MFF fondant. I ordered the tylose before I tried the updated recipe, and now I don't think I need to bother with it.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:42am
post #5 of 7

If you're doing figures and such, you'll probably still want to mix in some tylose or 50/50 with gumpaste. Michele's recipe is awesome, 3 pkgs is correct for the gelatin, but it still needs something for body if you're molding... it's perfect for rolling and covering as a standalone.

margaretb Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 7

I still think you will be able to manage without Tylose. Mind you, I am in Alberta, and I see Ladiesofthehouse is in Alaska, so we are not working in as much heat as most people in the states. I just used the new recipe to make aliens for an alien cake, and they were fine -- just the red was a little droopy, presumably because of how much colour I had to add. I have not added anything to my MFF before when doing figures, and some were a little saggy (especially when I added too much crisco when I was softening it up!!), but like I said, I made a few roses for a cake with nothing added and just a little plastic wrap support so they wouldn't sag when drying. Of course, I've done stuff where I stuck in a bunch of toothpicks so heads wouldn't roll off and arms wouldn't drop off. I suppose if I'd mixed something in the fondant, those would have worked out better. The thing about the roses is that each petal will be quite thin, so they dry out and stiffen up as you are making the thing (in my meagre experience).

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #7 of 7

I'm a huge fan of MFF, I don't think I'd ever go back! I made some with peanut butter chips melted in to use as a burger bun and it was yummy and handled great. Last night I made a batch of milk chocolate to be used for an upcoming pirate ship. I always make it with white chocolate and flavored creamer, tastes great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%