How Much Does It Make?

Decorating By JulyMama Updated 21 May 2009 , 8:32pm by JulyMama

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make MMF to cover a 2 tier cake that will be 9" and 6" about 4-5 inches tall.
Will one MMF recipe be enough? or should I make 2? I don't need to worry about decorations, just covering it. I'll be using a 16oz bag of mini marshmallows. Thanks!

5 replies
cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 6

Have you checked out the recipes for mmf , sometimes they tell you how much one batch will cover a cake. Sorry I have never made it but there are alot of recipes for it here, hope it helps some.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

I've done the same size of tiers w/ one receipe before, you should have no problem.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 6

Me to .. same as ^^^^^ One batch should be plenty .. I just did a 10 in and have quite a bit leftover to play with =}

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6

It will be plenty. You should be able to do at least twice that many tiers with that amount of fondant. Just make sure that you don't make it too thick. Your fondant should be about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch in thickness when rolled out. No more than that or it will weigh down your cake layers and may cause the "buckling" effect that often makes the fillings start to ooze out. Also, you need to make sure that you support each layer properly when you use fondant. The fondant naturally adds weight to the cake, i.e. adding to the possibility of bulging if it's put on too thick or not enough supports are used.

Good luck to you!

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 6

thanks so much for the responses! I bought enough ingredients for 2 recipes, so I'll just save them for next time! I was hoping to just make 1 as I've neve rmade it before and if it doesn't turn out I didn't want to waste all those ingredients plus money to buy satin ice, lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%