Mail Orders/shipping?

Business By kellertur Updated 27 May 2009 , 12:32am by Sarsi

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 17

I just got an inquiry, requesting shipment of 2 doz cupcakes several states away. Does anyone ship out of state? Cupcakes and what do you use?

My plan was to ship them unfrosted along along with a container of frosting. UPS would use freezer gel packs and it would be overnighted. The customer says they have a UPS account and will cover shipping, etc.

I plan to email a shipping policy of sorts...??? Any advice?
I did tell her I wouldn't ship until her check cleared.

Thank you.

16 replies
jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 17

I have never shipped cupcakes, so I can't really help you, but this'll give you a bump so that maybe someone can answer your questions.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 17

Really? Do you think it's legit? I just think it's strange to request cupcakes to be shipped...? I think you're right on to make sure the cheque clears before doing anything!

kellertur Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 17

Well, I did check and there are other companies that do ship cupcakes, but this order is becoming a PITA...

They now want them ICED and put into those plastic cupcake carriers (multiple openings) and frozen and packed in dry ice and Next-day air shipped. Where am I going to find dry ice ??? Ingredients ALONE have gone through the roof... I want to make sure I'm being well compensated.

icon_surprised.gif That's not all... they now want a second order (another 2 doz) only using "Valrhona" chocolate (which isn't even available here, I have to order a case of five- it's super expensive) for the ganache. She said she didn't care about cost and knew the second order would be more... but this is getting rediculous. I happen to know that there is infact a well known vegan bakery 80 mi away from this customer, I'm several hundred miles away. I'm going to call this bakery tomorrow and see if they turned them down because of the "nit-picking".
Problem is, I'm afraid to turn down this order because I'm still building my business and this could be a big oportunity (or just a waste of time).

Help please icon_sad.gif Thank you.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 17

Do you happen to know how she found you? Guess its just the skeptic in me, but kinda sounds "fishy".............I would definately get a deposit BEFORE I bought any ingredients! Good Luck!

kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:12am
post #6 of 17

I was told their daughter found me on the web. I've been keeping all email conversations (the phone calls are a bit uncomfortable as I feel like I'm being condescended to ~ tone of voice) icon_confused.gif It actually does seem legit, but I'm just exhausted from this...

I'm trying to be accomodating, I often have to order things online but when does it cross the line to being a fool? icon_confused.gif

I'm sending one final email regarding how difficult it's going to be to get that FANCY chocolate and this order is literally getting to the point where it's going to be $4-5.00+/ mini cupcake, taking into account all the running around, etc...

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 17

At some point, you have to ask yourself if this is why you want to be in this business. You are your own boss...do you want to sign up for this sort of treatment? At what point is it worth it? And would you really want her s a repeat customer?

kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #8 of 17

Good point. I've always thought that "Customer is always right" saying was a bit hypocritical anyway... it shouldn't mean "treat people like underlings..."

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 17

K2cakes, if you PM me, I will send you a Word document that I made up with pictures on how to ship cupcakes. I've done it about 4 times and every time it was successful! icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you Sarsi! icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #11 of 17

You're welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

TBallad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBallad Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 17

Has anyone ever successfully shipped a fondant cake? I can't imagine buttercream would ship well, but fondant might be sturdy enough to survive?

Thanks!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Well, I did check and there are other companies that do ship cupcakes, but this order is becoming a PITA...

They now want them ICED and put into those plastic cupcake carriers (multiple openings) and frozen and packed in dry ice and Next-day air shipped. Where am I going to find dry ice ??? Ingredients ALONE have gone through the roof... I want to make sure I'm being well compensated.

icon_surprised.gif That's not all... they now want a second order (another 2 doz) only using "Valrhona" chocolate (which isn't even available here, I have to order a case of five- it's super expensive) for the ganache. She said she didn't care about cost and knew the second order would be more... but this is getting rediculous. I happen to know that there is infact a well known vegan bakery 80 mi away from this customer, I'm several hundred miles away. I'm going to call this bakery tomorrow and see if they turned them down because of the "nit-picking".
Problem is, I'm afraid to turn down this order because I'm still building my business and this could be a big oportunity (or just a waste of time).

Help please icon_sad.gif Thank you.

Turn it down fast! If you think it's stressful at this point, wait until she wants you to do more and more piddly orders, then starts busting you to give her a discount because she's sending you "so much" business.

this isn't worth the time and aggravation it's going to take you unless you charge her something like $8 a cupcake!

kellertur Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 17

After receiving a total of 18 emails back and forth (changing this and that), I shared the info with my FIL (who's a lawyer & judge) and he also said:
"RUN!"... He said it sounded suspicious, like a lawsuit waiting to happen. He was afraid she might try and pull a fast one by saying the cupcakes were damaged or not edible, etc. I finally said "NO!!!!!" (but nicely)

This has been a learning experience for me... I'm a legal home business, SAHM with a husband... I can't be taking time to ship, find dry ice, etc...
How foolish to think it would be easy... as her high end candy bar sits in my fridge... (slaps own wrist). icon_redface.gif

I tip my hat (if I wore hats) to those that do any type of shipping. You have my respect. icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 17

Sounds like you made the right choice, seeing as she's being a pain in the neck about it!! Sit back and enjoy her high end candy bar!!! icon_smile.gif LOL...

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #16 of 17

I would think that this lady would be able to find someone closer to make her precious cupcakes, especially since she's never tried yours (or has she?). I think you made the right choice. It really is a good question though...how do you ship cupcakes? Sarsi? A little help please? icon_smile.gif

I ship cookies, but I've never had to use dry ice or even an ice pack. I would think this is a total scam just because I've never heard of anyone willing to pay so much just for the shipping. It's ridiculous how much they charge these days!

PS-check out etsy dot com...they have some people on there that sell cupcakes in little cups like you'd find at the fast food place, but they look kinda cute icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #17 of 17

PM me with your email address, and I"ll send you a Word Document with pictures on how to ship cupcakes!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%