What Do I Do With Left Over Cake Batter??

Decorating By cookinmama87410 Updated 22 May 2009 , 5:26pm by Kay_NL

cookinmama87410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmama87410 Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 22

When making cakes that use an odd amount of batter sometimes I have left overs. I hate wasting the batter. I usually bake it up into a small cake and decorate it. Its good to practice my skills on these cakes but sometimes I just don't want to mess with it. Any suggestions for any other uses??

21 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 22

I make cupcakes with it and freeze them.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 22

Make cake balls!!!!!

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 22

Me too! My kids love it when there is batter left over because they know there will be cupcakes!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 22

i make cupcakes too

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 22

I give the bowl to my son because he loves cake batter!! haha Then make cupcakes with whatever is left for us to eat at home!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 22

There is a thread that I ran across the other day about freezing cake batter. Someone said that she puts the batter in her cake pans and freezes them, then bakes them without even thawing them out. Takes a little longer, but there you go. I think I would double bag my batter in Ziplock Freezer bags, but I would rather have that in my freezer than baked cakes.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 22

Mini cupcakes are a great treat too!

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 22

I have been told that some have froze the batter in cupcake tins and put them in a freezer bag until ready to bake. I have not tried this but I would love to know the results!

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 22

Whenever I make a cake, I always have several sizes of clean tin cans and cake release handy, so if I have leftover batter, I grease the can/cans and put the extra cake batter in and bake as you would cupcakes.

My hubby likes to use the leftover icing and ice these little cakes for our dessert, that is, if I can catch him before he gobbles one down.

They can be torted too. Really adorable.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgood

Whenever I make a cake, I always have several sizes of clean tin cans and cake release handy, so if I have leftover batter, I grease the can/cans and put the extra cake batter in and bake as you would cupcakes.

My hubby likes to use the leftover icing and ice these little cakes for our dessert, that is, if I can catch him before he gobbles one down.

They can be torted too. Really adorable.

Sorry to steal the thread...I have thought about using cans but am cautions because of the chemicals that line the can for preservation. Any thoughts on this? I am afraid it will bake into the cake and be harmful.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 22

After reading a recent thread about freezing batter, I did freeze a tray of chocolate batter in my muffin tray and was very happy with how they turned out! Usually I bake them into cupcakes right away, but that particular time was a very late night! Great idea on freezing them just in the paper liners, as then you could put them in a zip loc once they were frozen, and you wouldn't be using up a pan/muffin tray in the freezer!! icon_smile.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 22

"I have thought about using cans but am cautions because of the chemicals that line the can for preservation. Any thoughts on this? I am afraid it will bake into the cake and be harmful.[/quote]"

Did you eat what came out of the can you plan to bake in? Cans are filled using a heat process....and doesn't harm the contents, so how could it harm what you would bake in it?

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #14 of 22

Why not make a mini cake, freeze it and save it for a tasting or another. Is it enough for a 6"?

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 22

I make extra cupcakes for my Boyfriend.
That way he cant complain that I didn't make anything for HIM!!!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

"I have thought about using cans but am cautions because of the chemicals that line the can for preservation. Any thoughts on this? I am afraid it will bake into the cake and be harmful.

"

Did you eat what came out of the can you plan to bake in? Cans are filled using a heat process....and doesn't harm the contents, so how could it harm what you would bake in it?[/quote]

We prefer to use fresh or frozen fruits, veggies, etc... We don't use many canned products because of the epoxy resin in the cans. Epoxy resin contains BPA. It is used to keep the metals of the can from leaching into the foods but the BPAs do leach into the food and are harmful to the body. That's why Nelgene and many baby bottle companies have changed their products over the last few years...to lessen the amount of BPA. Just another one of those health issues I am mulling around with.

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #17 of 22

I don't do anything with it at this point...but I am going to start freezing mini-cupcakes.

That is an awesome idea! thumbs_up.gif

cookinmama87410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmama87410 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

After reading a recent thread about freezing batter, I did freeze a tray of chocolate batter in my muffin tray and was very happy with how they turned out! Usually I bake them into cupcakes right away, but that particular time was a very late night! Great idea on freezing them just in the paper liners, as then you could put them in a zip loc once they were frozen, and you wouldn't be using up a pan/muffin tray in the freezer!! icon_smile.gif

So do we thaw first before baking or what? If we cook from frozen state do we need to adjust temp?

mbt4955 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #19 of 22

The thread I saw said that she baked frozen and at the same temperature, but that it took a little longer. I haven't tried it myself ...

Kay_NL Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #20 of 22

I baked from frozen at the same temperature and they came out perfect! I just kept checking them after 5 minutes longer than their normal time... I don't have sensitive taste buds so this might not be saying much (LOL), but I couldn't tell the difference between fresh baked and baked from frozen! icon_smile.gif Hope this helps!!

mbt4955 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

I baked from frozen at the same temperature and they came out perfect! I just kept checking them after 5 minutes longer than their normal time... I don't have sensitive taste buds so this might not be saying much (LOL), but I couldn't tell the difference between fresh baked and baked from frozen! icon_smile.gif Hope this helps!!

Katherine, were you the one who had posted this recently on another thread? I didn't take the time to try to find it, but I did want to pass the information along. I was thrilled to know that I could do this! icon_smile.gif

Kay_NL Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #22 of 22

No, I'm not the original poster of the information, I'm not sure who to give the credit to, but thank you so much!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%