Need Advice For Donated Cake Please......

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 21 May 2009 , 6:10pm by PinkZiab

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 8

A mommy group I am is having a Beer and Burger night with a silent auction to raise money for an event were doing. I was asked by the other members if I would donate a cake for the auction. I really don't mind especially since I am new and its a good way to 'spread the word'.
So what I need advice on is what could I do for a cake that random people would WANT to bid on? Also someone in the group suggested I do a simple cake with a coupon on it for the winning bidder to recieve a free cake upto a certain price for an occasion of their choice. Is that a better idea then they could actually use the cake for something useful? Has anyone ever done it that way? Or do you think thta is to much of a cost on my behalf?
I dunno if you have ever donate a cake to something like this what ahve you typically done?

TIA,
Ashley

7 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 8

Oh! oh! *hand waving in the air* I know, I know!

I just donated 18, yes 18 cakes for a benefit for a woman who was in an accident. They were raising money to renovate her house to be wheelchair accessible for her. Anyways...I used 4.5x5" aluminum tins with lids. My cake recipe yielded 9 little cakes so I only needed two batches! I made a batch, measured out the amount for each cake and flavored accordingly ending up with 7 flavors total. They were a BIG hit at the fundraiser. All the cakes are in my pics...feel free to peruse icon_smile.gif HTH!

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 8

Members of our local cake club donate lots of cakes for functions. We have found that people usually like good tasting cakes with fabulous flavors. If they don't have a special occasion around the time of the auction, an elaborately decorated cakecan sometimes go for less than a simple, delicious cake. And the coupon to go with it is a great idea.

Good luck!

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 8

You could do a Beer and Burger cake. I would only do one cake they can see your work at the auction and put some cards by the cake so they know how to get in touch with you. I did this once and the person that got the coupon for the cake wanted it as soon as he called I told him that the coupon said 2 weeks notice and he was pissed off he said how long did it take to bake a cake. Good Luck

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 8

From my experience, when I donate, I do it for the celebration day and make it fairly generic. If you give a gift certificate, they may redeem it on the weekend you are at your busiest. I did a certificate for a raffle at work once and be darned if she didn't want to redeem it on the day I had 10 graduation cakes to make. I was not feeling very charitable that day Of course suit yourself, but that was my little tidbit of advice.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 8

I donated one last month. The guy coordinating it didn't seem to interested in getting my name in case anyone asked about it. icon_rolleyes.gif If you are doing it in part to drum up business, make sure to add a card yourself somewhere.

My cake is here http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1348839

It only made $50 but it was for a good cause. Sigh. icon_razz.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 8

I usually donate a certificate for a cake up to a certain amount (or that they can apply the amount of the certificate to a larger order). I place the certificate in a basket with some goodies I've made (decorated cookies, maybe brownies) and a copy of my contact brochure (which includes my ordering guidelines, such as how much notice is required, etc) that has some pics of work samples on it. Wrap it all up in cellophane with a pretty bow and there you go (make sure the contact info and photos are clearly visible) and a label the front with my logo sticker on which I've printed "Donated by <company name here>"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%