What Kind Of Surface Do You Use?

Decorating By JulyMama Updated 22 May 2009 , 2:59am by TexasSugar

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:30am
post #1 of 23

I have been watching youtube vids today and noticed quite a few people working with gumpaste have a mat or board that they work on. It's not very big, but it looks to be non stick, so it's easy to work on. The ones I saw were blue or green.
Does anyone know what these are or where to get them from?
I think that TonEdna had one, and Aine2 did for sure.
Thanks!

22 replies
Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:54am
post #2 of 23

I think Wilton sells one...I think it's their practice board. I just use my granite counter with cornstarch.

JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #3 of 23

the practice board looks a little smaller than what they were using. It looked a little bigger than a sheet of computer paper. Thanks though!
Also, my counter has texture so I wouldn't want to use that. I'm going to look around and see what I can find, thanks!

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:12am
post #4 of 23

Wilton sells an actual roll out mat for fondant and gum paste. here is the link...

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=12E16DE9-475A-BAC0-56AEE0CE62D22CF0&fid=12E16E18-475A-BAC0-5D49470B954F6CC4

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:31am
post #5 of 23

I have the roll and cut mat and I am very unhappy with it. It's not heavy enough to stay in place and the edges have to be held down so that they don't curl up. I use my counter with cornstarch.

JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:34am
post #6 of 23

I have that roll out mat too, I don't like it either, It came in my course 3 kit and it was folded, I can not get the creases out despite what my teacher said on how to get rid of them. Plus it slides all around, it's very annoying, lol!
Here's a like to one of the video's I saw it in, it's right in the beginning so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:38am
post #7 of 23

OK, I just read the comments on her vid and now I feel dumb, lol! Someone else asked and this is what I found:
http://www.blueribbons.co.uk/shop/2/121/index.htm
Does anyone know where to buy one in Canada or US? I'd rather not ship internationally. Thanks!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:44am
post #8 of 23

Here in the US, they are called Cel Boards and you can buy them at Global Sugar Art and many other online cake supply stores.

They are not green over here, though. icon_smile.gif

JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:46am
post #9 of 23

Awesome! Thanks Sherri!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:53am
post #10 of 23

Yep Cel boards. I prefer using my granite countertop or my marble pastry board.

Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:01am
post #11 of 23

You are most welcome. icon_smile.gif

If you buy the grooved Cel Board, you will love it for wiring leaves and petals. The flip side of the grooved board is flat and slick and excellent for correctly cutting out GP, as it allows the entire rolled-out piece of GP to slide around with a minimum of cornstarch on the board.

Happy shopping!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 23

I use a piece of Corian countertop that was leftover when my kitchen was redone. About the size of a 1/2 sheet pan so it gives me enough working room. Also have a glass cutting board that is great to use for cut out pieces as the cutters will not scar the glass and I get a nice clean edge.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 23

Honestly, the one that Aine2 uses kind of looks like the little cutting mat that you use to cut out patters a circular blade at JoAnn Fabrics. I'm thinking about getting one to try it out.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 23

for those that have the wilton mat and say it slides around, I bought 2 cheap clamps at home depot and clamp the mat down at the counter edge. (Just make sure you get a clamp size that is big enough for the thickness of your countertop.)

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #15 of 23

My granite counter tops work great...they are always cool to the touch, and smooth. I also have a glass cutting board which is totally smooth and great for cut outs. In my experience the roll up mats are a pain. They slide around, the roll back up, and all that.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 23

I use a piece of freezer paper (shiny side up of course) and tape it to my countertop using blue painter's tape. Works like a charm.

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 23

I have a mat that I use that slides so I put a damp dish cloth of dish towel under it and it stops it from sliding. It works for me. Hope it helps.

Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #18 of 23

The Wilton Roll 'n Cut mat and the Cake Dividing Wheel (this is the mat that comes in the Course 3 kit and is round) work perfectly fine when used UNDER a sheet of heavy vinyl. icon_smile.gif

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:09pm
post #19 of 23

i use a glass cutting board i bought at walmart, one side is rough and the other is smooth, of course i use the smooth side, i use to use the wilton mat but also had trouble with it.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #20 of 23

I ran to Joann's fabric and bought a very big piece of clear vinyl, it covers my entire kitchen island. It's perfect for large fondant work. I have the wilton roll up mat which is not great, I also have a square vinyl placemat I use for small cut outs but I may be switching to small glass cutting board based on the posts here.
Thanks for starting the thread...

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #21 of 23

i have had success using wax paper. i flatten the fondant out to start w/ my hands then put it between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll away! the fondant peels right off the wax paper and there is no need for cornstarch, crisco, powdered sugar, etc! you just have to roll slow and w/ even pressure to keep the wax paper from wrinkling.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #22 of 23

I do not like my Wilton mat either!! It always rolls up on the sides and gets in the way. Wetting the back with a cloth will make it stick to the counter, but not the sides/corners.....those darn things! I used a knife on it and it cut right thru.... I think I will get the glass cutting board and give it a try.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #23 of 23

A suggestion for those that have issues with mats rolling back up while trying to work with them... When you store it roll it with the markings on the outside. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%