2D Fish Cakes...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 22 May 2009 , 11:10pm by cocobean

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:23am
post #1 of 12

For those of you that have done the awesome fish cakes in the gallery would you be willing to tell me what size cakes you started with? Did you do one or two layers of cake?

I'm planning on doing one tomorrow, and while I think I have a good starting idea I was just curious what others have done as well.

11 replies
cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 12

Hi Texas, I made a fish jumping out of water cake using 2 layers of 9x13. It ended up bigger than I thought. But it was really cool! Good luck!

cocobean Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #3 of 12

...here it is
LL

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 12

Cocobean please share how you did that~ fantastic cake by the way! Would it be hard for a beginner? That would be an awesome cake for Father's Day.

TIA,
Kelley

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 12

I would like to know how that is done also.
Thanks.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 12

That cake is wonderful! Amazing!

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 12

Cocobean your cake rocks!! Please do tell how you did this!
Father's day is coming up icon_eek.gif

cocobean Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif
The fish, tail, and cattails are made of rice Krispie treats covered with fondant. I painted the fish and tail with gel colors. I put those wood skewers in the cattails, fish and tail so that you could stick them into the cake. I used green colored fondant for the grass and brown fondant to cover the rice krispies on the cattails. I don't know if you can see it but there is a wire hooked onto the fish mouth then bent around and stuck back into the cake. Looks like he's caught and being pulled out of the water! Got my ideas from others cake here on cc. Thanks!

Texas, I don't know if that is what you call 2d or 3d. icon_confused.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #9 of 12

Cocobean, cute cake!!

I meant more of the fish laying on their sides though. I ended up using a 13x9 2in tall.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 12

When I make my 2D fish I use an 18" half-round pan. I do that because it gives it the start of the curve I want. icon_smile.gif My pan is 4" high, so I can fill it pretty full. This makes a fairly large fish cake.

When I start to carve, I leave the 'hump' on the cake-don't level it! I have a pattern from a real fish that I use to make the fins and tail. I use either wafer paper or gumpaste and airbrush 'em.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 12

I thought I had a pic of my fish in my photo gallery, but I don't....have to do that when I get home so you can see what I mean.

cocobean Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #12 of 12

Texas, you've got me thinking about fish cakes. I just saw a couple of fun ones. Check out AnnaLynnG and txnonnie they posted some fun ones today! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%