Cookie Layer

Decorating By clovely Updated 28 May 2009 , 6:10pm by sweetiesbykim

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 19

I'm so ticked right now - I so do not have time for this right now. I tried to make the cookie layer to put in a cake i need to get done and when I tried to get the thing out of the pan it crumbled everywhere. What the...?!?!? How are you supposed to know when this thing is done? How am I supposed to get it out of this pan much less in the cake?!?!

I don't guess it even matters now because now I don't have enough to do what I wanted to do so I guess I wont bother. I'm so MAD!!!!!!

18 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 19

Okay, take a deep breath...you can always make another one, maybe just not today.

I did one and put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. That worked well; the cookie came right out. Hope that works for you.

clovely Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 19

I had wax paper in the bottom. I did make another - thinner and smaller because it was all I could make but I think I can make it work but I'm scared to try to take it out of the pan!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 19

Cookie layer to put in a cake? I've never seen that before -with frosting in between layers, too? If it's in the cake, does it matter if it broke? Sounds yummy -any pics or can you explain how you do this icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Cookie layer to put in a cake? I've never seen that before -with frosting in between layers, too? If it's in the cake, does it matter if it broke? Sounds yummy -any pics or can you explain how you do this icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607123.html

clovely Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 19

OK, I got it out of the pan but it's kinda got a "lip" on it from where it was in the pan...not sure what to do about that but I'll make it work. I guess I'll have a pretty thick layer of icing there??

Kim, I saw the idea on here. This is the link:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-629535-sugar.html+cookie+layer
It's my first time trying it. Not at all sure how this will work yet. It's for a cake going to school with my daughter on Friday. I'll post a picture after the party so I can get one of the inside.

BTW, I need to put it together and ice it tonight. I'll decorate it tomorrow but we have a program at school tomorrow night so I'm afraid to leave it all to be done tomorrow. If it sits, layered and iced from tonight till Friday morning, will the cookies absorb too much moisture from the cake or get too soggy? I know that's why they say to put buttercream below and on top of the cookie layer as a barrier. I just hope it's not a problem to sit that long. I'll refrigerate it, except when I'm working on it, until I take it to school.

I'm always nervous about trying new things. And I tend to freak out when it doesn't go the way I want it to - when it's something I gotta do and I gotta do now...isn't it always?? icon_wink.gif Last night I made "cake balls" for the first time and I didn't think they turned out well at all (used semi-sweet baking chocolate instead of candy melts and I thought it was yucky) but dh said everyone RAVED about them at work. Go figure. So I'll plug along with this and let you know. Of course it's for 4th graders so they'd have a hard time finding anything to complain about with so many variations of sugary fun in one deal, I guess. icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks TexasSugar and clovely!! I love the idea, and of course now I have tons of "ooh, what flavors can I try!" ideas now icon_smile.gif

I make a lot of cheesecakes, and I always make my crust in a separate pan and then combine them on the serving plate (same idea as the cookie). The crust doesn't get mushy, and it's just another step I can do ahead. A couple out of many have broken into large pieces, but I just piece them together since they will be under the cheesecake anyway. I've noticed that a good amount of butter and sugar help keep it together -the sugar kind of melts in the oven and fuses the crumbs together. The butter just helps it slide out of the pan easily (parchment on the bottom).
2c. crumbs, 1/2 melted butter, 1/8-1/4c. sugar

I make a pecan shortbread cheesecake crust that would be a fabulous flavor as a whole cookie in a cake! Also a citrus cream roll-out recipe from Toba Garrett's cookie book -YUM!

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:52am
post #8 of 19

Clovely, next time you do this, when you spread your cookie dough out don't spread it alway the way to the edge. Leave a little space there. Cookies do spread when the bake. By leaving that space it will spread out to the side, but not up the side so much. I do this when I do a cookie cake.

My nephew's birthday is Monday and have reading through these threads again I think I will do a cookie in his cake. Now I have to decide what flavors I want to do. Then I read SweetiesbyKim's post about the graham cracker crust and I'm thinking smores!! HeHe. I'll have to decide sometime tomorrow so I can buy the supplies for the cake.

Kim, would you be willing to share your pecan shortbread curst recipe? And could you use almonds instead of pecans? Hmmmm.....

Now I have even more flavor ideas floating around. icon_lol.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:09am
post #9 of 19

I would think that placing the iced cake upside down on the cookie, then flipping the whole thing over wouldt work... but that's just how I would atempt it the first time. I haven't actually done a cookie in a cake (yet!) but will definately be trying it in the future! Good luck and I hope it all turns out for you!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:20am
post #10 of 19

I put chocolate chip cookie DOUGH in my chocolate cakes... Eggless, of course... icon_biggrin.gif SO YUMMY! I may have to try the baked kind too, that sounds tasty!

sweetiesbykim Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Kim, would you be willing to share your pecan shortbread curst recipe? And could you use almonds instead of pecans? Hmmmm.....

Now I have even more flavor ideas floating around. icon_lol.gif

hehe, I actually use store bought pecan sandies (Aldi's brand) for my cheesecake crust. It gave me the flavor idea of using my Mexican Wedding Cake Cookie/Russian Teacake recipe for the "cookie in the cake", which can be made with ground nuts of any kind -with a brown sugar icing, butter cake, toffee pieces, you get the idea icon_biggrin.gif

clovely Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 19

This is how it turned out. It was messy but fun.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1374713&sub=1374715

TexasSugar, thanks for the tip!

sweetiesbykim Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 19

It looks perfect! It looked like it sliced perfectly, too! Great job of showing those cookie layers who's boss icon_lol.gif

clovely Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 19

It was hard because it was so tall and kinda like sawing more than cutting in some places - those edges. Texas Sugar's hint above about not spreading the cookie dough all the way to the edge is so important!! That would've made a huge difference, I think. I kinda made a mess but, for the most part, each kid got their name and had fun with it (there were two classes included so 40 names all the way around). I think I even got them all spelled right! At least I didn't hear any complaints!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 19

I love CAKE CENTRAL--something new to learn all the time. That is one beautiful cake!!!!

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:49pm
post #16 of 19

Great job! And I'm glad my tip will help in the future. I totally didn't think about it until you mentioned the sides being thicker.

I'm still debating on what flavors to do my nephew's cake in. I've made a lot of chocolate cakes lately, so I was thinking maybe I'd do something different but all the yummy flavors I think of are chocolate based. Go figure huh?

TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:32am
post #17 of 19

I tried this on my cake for Monday. I ended up making my cookie layer too thick, but it worked out okay since it added height to my tiers with out me having to bake even more cake than we needed. Next time I know to divided the cookie batter out more. I did a basic chocolate chip recipe. Thankfully it still came out very soft.

Here is a picture of it before I iced it.
LL

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 19

What a neat idea! I want to go make (and eat) one of these now!!!

sweetiesbykim Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 19

Yummy thick layer! This would make an awesome ice cream cake for summer -just sub the inner layers of BC with ice cream -chocolate Heavenly Hash perhaps?!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%