Help Diabetic/ Diet Friendly Cake, That Taste Good.

Decorating By Chonya Updated 31 May 2009 , 5:41am by apetricek

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 7

I need to find a GOOD tasting some what diabetic/ diet friendly cake to make for my kids birthday party. (it will be an option cake for people) Could anyone give me any good recipies? Not angle food cake.

Thank you.

PS any tampa/ close to wesley chapel bakers out there that have an edible printer?

6 replies
sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 7

I don't think there is such a thing icon_smile.gif Type 1 and Type 2 have different needs regarding sugar and no cake is diet friendly.. unless you count the 'diet soda cake'.. which doesn't taste good and still has plenty of sugar and carbs in it.

If your feeding it to diabetics, I would think the best thing for them would be to count the actual amount of grams of sugar/carbs per slice. That way they can properly account for their sugar intake and still eat a yummy piece of cake icon_smile.gif

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 7

I'm having the same trouble finding recipes. I did use a chocolate snack cake mix put out by Sweet 'N Low that I purchased at Kroger. It is $2.99 a box and only makes one 8" layer. I made for my mother for her birthday and another for Mother's Day. One the first one I bought a box of frosting mix that was nearby on the shelf but didn't like working with it. For the Mother's Day cake I used a CC recipe titled "Diabetic Icing for Decorative Icing by BJ. It uses nonfat dry milk powder, cornstarch and a sugar replacement (I used Splenda) for the powdered sugar. It was easy to work with and although I didn't think it tasted great, my Mother said it was very good. Remember, they are not used to eating sweet stuff like we are. Hope this helps. I'm planning to try using this to make a purse cake for a friend who is diabetic. We'll see what happens.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:57am
post #4 of 7

I don't know the do's and don'ts for diabetics but the diet coke cake is very good, IMO. You just can't do much with it. It's very soft.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 7

Have you tried checking out the Diabetics magazine or Cooking Lights website? Cooking Light has some very good recipes.

Good Luck!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 7
apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:41am
post #7 of 7

I too would love a good recipe....I made sugar free cuppies and icing tonight, and really aren't impressed with them. The cupcakes are more like muffins, and I think they taste too much like splenda...I got the recipe from the splenda website..I used a SF icing that I found on here, that uses cream cheese...it was ok, but needed something..seemed a little too "cream cheesey" to me...I guess if you aren't used to the yummy normal cake and buttercream, you would like these, but I am not loving these, and I don't like the taste of splenda...so that isn't helping my opinion! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%