Just Out For Freebie?

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 24 May 2009 , 3:38am by indydebi

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 19

So I had a tasting for a bride, picked basic vanilla, chocolate and red velvet to sample, now her mom calls and wants to taste another three flavors (more exotic and fruity this time) because they can't decide which ones they want for their cake. I explained that since I don't have anyone else tasting those flavors this weekend, there would be a $10 per flavor charge.

The silence was deafening icon_lol.gif

18 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 19

Too bad lady! Lol!

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 19

i don't blame you there. has she made her deposit and everything?

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 19

Good for you,stick to your guns!You can't make the cakes for a tasting for free,especially with fruits and nuts that can be very pricey!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 19

I don't blame you. I charge for all tastings, and I have a standard tasting menu. If they book with me, I apply the tasting fee to the balance, otherwise, they got a nice dessert icon_smile.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 19

By any chance were they coming by after dinner?? Maybe for dessert???
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 19

I don't think you are being unreasonable. I guess they don't understand that you have to bake three more cakes and fill them and frost them in order to be tasted. Did the bride pick the initial flavors to be tasted? If so I would contact her directly to discuss the tasting. Also, how long before the wedding? You might want to see if there is more time that someone else may order those, if not $10 per flavor.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 19

I probably would not offer a second tasting, would just have them buy some cake to pick up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 19

Hello, OLive Garden? I'd like to come there for dinner but I need a sampling of everything on the menu to decide what I want to order. Could you set that up please at my convenience?

Hello, KFC? Could I taste a chicken leg before I order a bucket? Now can I taste a thigh before I order the same bucket? I need to sample a wing to see if I want any wings in the bucket.

Yeah .... THAT'LL work! dunce.gif

A sampling, to me, is to determine if they like my baking, NOT to taste-test everything to decide which they prefer. My lemon cake tastes just as good as my white cake only it tastes like lemon.

Lineah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lineah Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 19

indydebi...i couldn't have said it better!...lol

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 19

indydebi - I ABSOLUTELY love reading your responses. This one is a classic. thumbs_up.gif

I wouldn't offer a second tasting either. If they don't know what kind of cake they like, then working with them is going to be interesting. icon_lol.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 19

Yeah, bride picked out original tasting flavors. I allow them choose up to three of any that we offer.

No deposit has been made and the wedding is a few months out.

I just thought my fellow cc'ers would get a kick out of this.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 19

People are amazing...I guess they start thinking that everyone has to cater to their every whim for their BIG DAY, then they can't understand why we don't jump through hoops for someone who hasn't even signed a contract! Too funny...

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #14 of 19

When I am contacted for a wedding, I request a photo or description of their desired wedding cake along with the number of servings. I then send them a pricing proposal. If the price points work for them, then and only then are they allowed to set up a tasting. This way, we don't waste each other's time and I book 95% of people with this method!

Also, I have found that if you let them couples will choose every flavor on the menu to try but when it boils down to it, most of the time, all they want is yellow cake!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

By any chance were they coming by after dinner?? Maybe for dessert???
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

PRICELESS icon_lol.gif I needed that... thank you. icon_lol.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hello, OLive Garden? I'd like to come there for dinner but I need a sampling of everything on the menu to decide what I want to order. Could you set that up please at my convenience?

Hello, KFC? Could I taste a chicken leg before I order a bucket? Now can I taste a thigh before I order the same bucket? I need to sample a wing to see if I want any wings in the bucket.

Yeah .... THAT'LL work! dunce.gif

A sampling, to me, is to determine if they like my baking, NOT to taste-test everything to decide which they prefer. My lemon cake tastes just as good as my white cake only it tastes like lemon.

I've actually told a bride this....well not the restaurant part, but the lemon cake part. They just look at me like I'm a dumbass.....then they say that if they haven't tasted my lemon (or strawberry, or orange) cake, how will they know if they like it? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I'm thinking of getting out of this biz. Wedding people are getting on my very last nerve.

indydebi Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:31pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

....then they say that if they haven't tasted my lemon (or strawberry, or orange) cake, how will they know if they like it?

I did have one bride kinda like that, only it was with the food part. She wanted me to make her 5 meats, 6 veggies, 2 starches "....and some fresh fruit" for her sampling. (What? You've never tasted a strawberry before? icon_confused.gif Hmmm ... I'm pretty sure she was the one whose quote got 'lost' in cyberspace. icon_rolleyes.gif )

So I kinda address this the second I bring the cake samples into the room:

"We're sampling 3 flavors today. These are not the only flavors we make, but it's what we're using to see if you like my baking style. My lemon cake tastes just as good as my white cake except it tastes like lemon."

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #18 of 19

Debi, do you ever get people looking at you like you're insane when you use that "except it tastes like lemon" line?

were I looking for a lemon cake, I'd sure as heck want to taste it - I've had some really bad flavoured cakes in my day...and a good vanilla cake doesn't mean that the lemon cake will be as good...

Of course, were I a bride, I'd be going with vanilla or chocolate, for that very reason...

indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #19 of 19

Nope.... they usually laugh with me and say, "got it!"

But I also go with The Golden Rule .... Those laying out the gold, get to make the rules. It's a free sampling ... you eat what I provide. You want to "order" something, then I'll let you know how much it will cost you. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%