Buttercream Roses...

Decorating By cakesdelight Updated 21 May 2009 , 4:52am by madgeowens

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 12

Ok so I'm so fustrated I have a cake to be delivered tomorrow evening and they want buttercream roses and I am not having much luck with them, I make the roses on the #7 nail and a way larger one they come out beautiful but when I go to lift it with the plastic rose lifter sciccor they come off the nail good but when I put it on the cake I distroy the rose completely....What am I doing wrong? If anyone can please help me please... TIA

Sandy

11 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:51am
post #2 of 12

I put mine in the fridge so they are more sturdy to place on the cake .....they can crack though so still be gentle

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 12

ugh, I have/had that problem also. Now I either pipe mine directly on the cake, or pop them in the fridge or freezer for a few. Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:01am
post #4 of 12

Pipe a blob of the same colored icing where you want to plant the roseon the cake to make a landing pad. Then I just use regular scissors--pick it up with the end of the scissors but they are still open a tid tad--don't close them all the way--then place the rose down on the blob and close the scissors and withdraw them at the same time.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:28am
post #5 of 12

I use the flower lifters. As was said above, you want to only close the scissors half way when you pick up the rose, then close them all the way before pulling it away. Also before I pull the flower lifters away, I place the point of my flower nail against the flower right above the lifters. This holds the flower in place while I am pulling the lifters away.

You can also let them sit out and air dry so that they crust before putting them on your cake using the lifters. This makes them a little more sturdy when moving.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:20am
post #6 of 12

I put them in the freezer for a few minutes on wax paper then they lift off and place much easier.

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:25am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can also let them sit out and air dry so that they crust before putting them on your cake using the lifters. This makes them a little more sturdy when moving.

If you do this you cut little squares of waxed paper and pipe the flowers on the squares (that are attached to the nail with a dab of icing). Not that you didn't know that but I just wanted to toss that out there.

cakesdelight Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 12

THANK YOU GUYS!!!! I DID it!!! thanks to ya'll I was able to make my flowers and not mess them up....okay just one... but the rest looked great.

THANKS AGAIN!

Sandy

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If you do this you cut little squares of waxed paper and pipe the flowers on the squares (that are attached to the nail with a dab of icing). Not that you didn't know that but I just wanted to toss that out there.

Ah yes, forgot that part. I do all roses on wax paper. I use a piece of floral clay on my nail to hold he wax paper on.

-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #10 of 12

I still think piping a rose is the one of the greatest personal thrills in decorating.
It's your high school diploma in cake deco huh.

cakesdelight Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I still think piping a rose is the one of the greatest personal thrills in decorating.
It's your high school diploma in cake deco huh.

it is! you get a self accomplishment feeling! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:52am
post #12 of 12

I took a piece of scrap cake from carving a car the other day and stood there and made a rose on top of it without the nail,f or my grand daughter, and it was really good hahaha, I was so tickled....too bad the cake was a wreck lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%