Dk Brown Fondant-W/o Chocolate? How?

Decorating By Somethin-Sweet Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm by Somethin-Sweet

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 15

OK- I have a serious problem! I have a wedding cake that is due this weekend that has to be colored dark brown (grooms cake)...........BUT the MOB informed me YESTERDAY that the MOG is Allergic To Chocolate!!!! How in the heck am I going to get that dark brown color without using chocolate? I have made one batch of fondant and used and Entire jar of brown color.............and it still looks tan.............?????????????? Any suggestions???? icon_cry.gif Thanks for any help!

14 replies
kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 15

I saw that Satin Ice makes dark brown vanilla fondant. I have not used it, but have tried their black and white with good results.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #3 of 15

I typically just use brown color...tons of it, but eventually it turns brown. I'm wanting to try the chocolate fondant.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 15

Is airbrushing an option?

Somethin-Sweet Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks! I do have an airbrush........and thought about airbrushing it........but I'm a little worried about getting the color uniform- because of the shape of the cake............I will try and attach a picture of this unique cake so you will see what I am talking about..........It is actually 8 cakes that make up this round shape.........so I am planning on covering each one individually and putting them together to make the circle........and the finished cake is over 3 feet wide!!!!
LL

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

I typically just use brown color...tons of it, but eventually it turns brown. I'm wanting to try the chocolate fondant.

I also use Wilton brown coloring...

I just recently tried the SatinIce Chocolate fonadant.. I love it... to me it taste like a tootsie roll..lol

Somethin-Sweet Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 15

Wish I could use it but the MOG is allergic...............anyone else?

kylekaitlyn Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:21am
post #8 of 15

Could you find out more about MIL allergy? Choco-Pan has dark brown. It is made from white chocolate (which is not really chocolate, but rather cocoa butter, milk and sugar) Maybe it could work. I can't vouch for it's taste or ease of use, but just a thought.

kylekaitlyn Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #9 of 15

If she knows exactly what she is allergic to maybe this could help:

* Dark chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, and (sometimes) vanilla
* Milk chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, milk or milk powder, and vanilla
* White chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, milk or milk powder, and vanilla

kylekaitlyn Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 15

How did the dark brown go? What did you use?

Somethin-Sweet Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 15

It really turned out very well. Ended up using the light brown fondant that I had, and sponge painted over it with a mixture of vodka and Americolor brown color. Worked wonderful....kinda looked like leather!!! .....I have the pic posted in my photos. Thanks for all of your suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 15

Just a question here, since it is now a moot point. Can you darken an existing color by adding some black to it? Has anyone tried, and if so, what has your experience been?

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 15

Acutally, that was one thing I did try. I added a little and it did not make much difference. So I added a little more, and it had sort of a green undertone. I would say try it a little tiny drop at a time and see if it works for you. Good Luck!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks for the response! And your cakes turned out beautifully. What a unique and creative idea for a wedding cake!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 15

Aw- Thanks! I have to say I underestimated this cake quite a bit. Maybe its because I had 2 of them to do- this one and the brides! Both of them fed 600 ppl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%