Can I Use Buttercream To Place Tiers On Top Of One Another?

Decorating By Irishbliss Updated 20 May 2009 , 1:42pm by MissRobin

Irishbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishbliss Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I am making my first stacked cake this weekend and have a question about it.

When I put the dowels in and go to place the next tier I read I need to put a few dollops of royal icing on the top of cake to help adhere the next cake board.

I won't be using royal icing and was wondering can buttercream be used instead?

Thanks

7 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 8

I've always used buttercream and it has worked fine. I do not transport cakes assembled, so all it has to do is stand on the table, but ... so far - so good. I'm sure that royal dries faster and holds stronger.

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 8

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING I AM MAKING MY FIRST TIER CAKE IN A FEW WEEKS SO I HAVE BEEN DOING MY SHARE OF RESEACH....

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 8

No ~ you don't want to "glue" the cake board of the upper tier to the buttercream icing on which it will be sitting, or else the cardboard will pull all of the icing off the bottom tier when it is time to deconstruct it for serving.

Sprinkle powdered sugar over the icing where the cardboard will sit, and then pipe a dollop of buttercream on top of your dowels. The powdered sugar will keep the icing from sticking to the cardboard cake circle.

If you are concerned about the stacked cakes being stable during transport, use a central dowel rod through all of the tiers.

It looks really bad when the servers pull the cakes apart and all of the icing sticking to the cardboard of the upper tiers. LOL

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #5 of 8

If you are doing fondant, you can definitely use buttercream. Everytime I do it, I don't have a problem. Even with deconstructing it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:27am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboo529

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING I AM MAKING MY FIRST TIER CAKE IN A FEW WEEKS SO I HAVE BEEN DOING MY SHARE OF RESEACH....

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

Irishbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishbliss Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone!

Yeah I will be using fondant, kinda nervous about it but excited at the same time.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 8

I use RI alot, got that suggestion from one of Colette Peters books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%