Another Question For Mix Users

Decorating By alanaj Updated 19 May 2009 , 11:30pm by alanaj

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 6

My business has exploded and I have recently taken the plunge and bought a wholesale bakery mix to use as a base. I offer lots of flavors so I doctor everything based on a white, lemon, or chocolate mix. My issue with the new stuff is the math. Instructions are for mixing enormous amounts of batter at a time (44 lbs) and that's not me. I have divided everything down but my first test batch came out too dry for my liking. Not bad, just not as moist as my old base, which was DH.

So, does anyone else use these large quantity mixes? Have any tips on ratios? Without wasting too many batches should I try adding more oil first or water or both in equal proportions? I'm going to throw in some pudding mix as well and I'm just not sure if more oil would give me what I'm looking for or if it's the water I should be increasing. Any tips are appreciated!
TIA

Alana

5 replies
alanaj Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone? Box users have any thoughts?

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry. I'm a box user, but am totally oblivious to figuring out what to add or take away to change them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 6

Have you tried weighing out 18.5 oz of mix and treating it as you would a box?
You could also use my *original* WASC recipe that way.
When I used Dawn's 50# bags I had much the same problem - it took some playing around to get things just right.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 6

that's what i was going to suggest. just pick a certain amount and write down everything you do and how it turns out. or just mix it up by the recipe it comes with and freeze it in smaller portions to take out and doctor up when you need them

alanaj Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks kakeladi, that's exactly what I'm using, Dawn's 50# bag.
Thanks for the responses. I'll start playing around tonight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%