What Do You Use To Stabilize Sticks In A Cookie Bouquet?

Baking By ExcitedNewbie Updated 26 May 2009 , 1:49am by angelicconfections

ExcitedNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ExcitedNewbie Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 15

I've never made a cookie bouquet before, but would love to give it a try.
Please tell me what you use to stabilize the sticks in the pot?

Also, if you use RI as the icing, will it be too hard to bite when it dries?

Thanks for answering my questions.

~ Kim

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 15

I use a foam block, the floral ones but not the soft crumbly kind.

I don't know about the RI, I always use fondant on my cookies.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 15

I use floral foam. I use a combo of fondant and royal icing for my cookie. Make sure your foam fits tight in the container and the cookies will be just fine. Also remember to handle them by the sticks so the cookies will not crack or break.

ExcitedNewbie Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you Texas_Rose and tyty!! I appreciate your help!!!

~ Kim

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 15

I agree with everything tyty said. Except I just use the foam from the $store. Works very nicely

toleshed Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 15

I agree with everything tyty said. Except I just use the foam from the $store. Works very nicely

ExcitedNewbie Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #7 of 15

Thank you toleshed! That was very nice of you to respond too! :0)

LesGateauxCheri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesGateauxCheri Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 15

I use dollar store foam too - works awesome! I always use royal icing. It does dry hard, but not hard that it is difficult to bite. Good luck!

toleshed Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #9 of 15

Huh! How did that get on there twice? lol
Also - I use Michele Fosters fondant which is awesome. Then I decorate with RI

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 15

I use the green floral foam that Joanne's sells in blocks of 6...I think it's 6. Garden Ridge opened recently in Omaha, and I bought the same stuff there really cheap. It cuts great for fitting into containers. I've also read where you can use candy clay to push the sticks into. I personally thought that might get a bit pricey.

I use a slight modification to Toba's Glace to ice all my cookies. It gives a firm to the touch finish so you can stack or bag the cookies, but it stays soft underneath. (I learned thru another forum thread last year that adding some brite white food color to the icing helps to prevent it from getting cloudy and spotty.)

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 15

I bought a can of "great stuff" foam spray from Home Depot & filled 25 little flower pots for my son's class. I baked cookies on sticks, covered in fondant and gave them some food-writer markers to decorate tham. This was their mother's day gift this year.

The Great Stuff is fab. Fills any size container you have & you don't have to cut or store anything. You just need to allow a few hrs. for it to dry.

good luck!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I bought a can of "great stuff" foam spray from Home Depot & filled 25 little flower pots for my son's class. I baked cookies on sticks, covered in fondant and gave them some food-writer markers to decorate tham. This was their mother's day gift this year.

The Great Stuff is fab. Fills any size container you have & you don't have to cut or store anything. You just need to allow a few hrs. for it to dry.

good luck!

Very interesting and cool idea! How long do you wait to push in the sticks once the foam has been added to the container?

LesGateauxCheri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesGateauxCheri Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 15

Wow - spray foam? How does the cost compare with regular foam? Can they remove the foam so they can reuse the container? Very interesting!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 15

yeah i'd wonder that too-i use foam too (with a few rocks or glass pebbles for weight/stability) and add crinkle paper, more pebbles or rocks or tissue to cover the foam (i'm a beginner too but you'll get better with practice)

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #15 of 15

I use floral foam, but I have also used fresh gumpaste and floral clay. I agree the soft floral foam, not the hard crumbly kind is easier to work with. I haven't tried the canned foam, doesn't it have a chemical smell?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%