Leg Lamp Fish Net Panty Hose...

Decorating By Starkie Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 10:53pm by fiddlesticks

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 42

I'm am thinking of attempting a cake that looks like the Leg Lamp from A Christmas Story (see pic below). My husband will build the structure with a large, thick dowel from the bottom base to the base that the lamp will sit on. Lamp will be cake, and the leg and foot will be RKT covered with fondant. My question is, how best to mimic the fish net pantyhose on the leg? Would I have to hand paint it on? Or could I use the SugarVeil product?

I've never used SugarVeil. Can you color it black? Can you pipe it out of a featherweight bag with a #1 tip? How does it hold up? Can I pipe the hose onto a piece of wax paper, peel it off, and stick it onto the leg? Anyone with any ideas or suggestions, please chime in!

TIA!
<Starkie>
LL

41 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 42

That is going to be one fun cake to make icon_smile.gif

My best guess with the hose is to pipe it. I've never worked with sugarveil, so don't know how that would work.

Good luck! Hopefully someone else can help you!

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 42

I've never used sugarveil either. I would think that you would need to pipe it by hand... Just my 2cents. I'm sure others know better than I do.. Good Luck!! and I can't wait to see the finished product...

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 42

i say use a stencil if you could find one. i think most fish net hose have a seem down the back of the leg anyway, so that could be your start and stop point. good luck with the cake!!! what a fun idea icon_smile.gif

i did a dracula castle cake for a girl and wanted it to look more girly so i covered the cake board with black lace and used the same lace over the tops of the towers with a red bc underneath. i know it wasn't edible but nobody was going to eat that part anyway and i think it added a nice touch.

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 42

i was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes on WE (or something like that, i forget the show name) and the caker from Cake Atelier was making a cake for with a skull and cobweb. she made the cobweb out of what she called a "flexible royal icing"... i have no idea what it was. she didn't call it a certain name or anything. but the cobweb looked like edible rubber. it was cool. i will do some googling to see if i can find more info or at least a clip of that show so you can see what i am talking about

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 42

^^ I remember that episode. Didn't she add some corn syrup to her royal? Am I dreaming that?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 42

I just want to see the cake!!!! I bought my hubby this very lamp for Christmas last year ... it's our favorite Christmas movie!

Starkie Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 42

Holly4409, flexible royal icing sounds just like what Sugarveil is supposed to be. I'm thinking that may be the way to go, unless I get a better suggestion. My best friend (an artist) wants me to paint the hose on, line by line. WHAAAATTT????? I need something a bit easier and less time consuming.

I have also considered using luster dust on the leg. So they make black or dark brown luster dust?

IndyDebi, I will be happy to post a picture if I can, in fact, do this. Any advice you might have would be MOST helpful!!!! (I always get a lot out of your posts!)

Where is Doug, by the way? He's the epitome of creative solutions. He needs to chime in on this post!

<S>

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

Holly4409, flexible royal icing sounds just like what Sugarveil is supposed to be.

I did some googling and found the Cake Atelier's NEW business/website, Cake Alchemy, and on there it talks about the episode and does say it's Sugarveil. my search is over (i had to satisfy my own curiosity)... and now i want to get some Sugarveil and experiment... looks FUN

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 42

Sugarveil can be tinted black and can be piped through a 1 tip. I have used it a few times and love it!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 42

There was a thread a while back where a member tried to recreate the Sugarveil recipe. I have not tried it myself but it might be worth a shot:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-32371-0.html

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 42

How about covering the leg with black fondant first and then cover it with some type of food safe netting and then airbrush it with the skin tone color? Once you remove the net, the black lines would show up.

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #13 of 42

I have no idea how you would do the hose, but I can't wait till you do!! Please send instructions when you get the cake done - That would be such a fun cake to do for someone=)

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:52am
post #14 of 42

WOW .. good luck at doing this. My hubby loves this movie & would love if I made him a cake like the lamp .. hmmmm his b-day is Dec. 23rd, plenty of time to decide. Yes please posts pics when you get it done, with what you used for the fish net.

Starkie Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:54am
post #15 of 42

Well, I have ordered the Sugarveil icing and the comb. On the website, it shows how you can easily make a veil with the icing and the comb, and it's exactly the effect I'm looking for. Hopefully I will be able to master this technique for this cake. The cake is for an open house at the end of June, so hopefully I can pull it together in time...

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:18am
post #16 of 42

Cant wait for pic's of finished cake!!

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:28pm
post #17 of 42

I use sugarveil and I have mixed feelings about it. I personally don't like the comb effect - it's a little flat and I don't like creating sheets and cutting it. However, I put it in a pastry bag and use a round tip and just create whatever design I want. Love it.

Starkie Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:58pm
post #18 of 42

Lee, when you use Sugarveil, how long do you have to let it dry before it is flexible enough to drape over something or cover something with it?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #19 of 42

dellbois2u created this recipe, if you don't have luck with the Sugarveil.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7283-Gummy-Spider-Webs-with-marshmallows.html

ezbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezbakin Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #20 of 42

I have seem alot of techniques that I have found interesting but this Sugarveil stuff is amazing. I am so intrigued by it. It is rather expensive but I really want to try it. If anyone orders let us know how is was working with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 42

Best of luck on this cake. Can't wait to see pics!! Our favorite movie too! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #22 of 42

...can't wait to see it either!!! My son loves tha show!!! icon_biggrin.gif

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #23 of 42

Hello Starkie,

Just caught your post - this Leg Lamp is a perfect SugarVeil project. You can color SugarVeil with powder or liquid food color - for intense colors or black, I suggest adding powdered color to SugarVeil before you mix in the water. Here are a few other tips:
1. Comb the lines with the "Deep Lines" edge of the SugarVeil Confectionery Comb. For more raised lines, simply refrigerate the SugarVeil and/or the greased-with-Crisco silicone mat for 20 minutes or so. Don't use spray oil, as it interferes with the setting process and flattens the lines.
2. When the lines are set (firm and not at all tacky to the touch), pipe dots of SugarVeil about an inch apart between the first and second horizontal line. Then, between lines 2 and 3, stagger the position of the dots - like bricks. Pipe the dots between line 3 and 4 in the same pattern as you did between lines 1 and 2, and then continue alternating the two patterns in the remaining lines. A bit hard to explain, but I'll include a photo below.
3. Allow the dots to set. Because you have piped the dots onto set SugarVeil lines, they will be nice, tall, rounded dots.
4. The fastest setting condition is to have a warm temp, in dried air (near an oven), with a fan blowing across the top of the SugarVeil. For me, I like to turn my oven on the lowest setting (that would be 175 degrees in my case) and allow the SugarVeiled silicone mat to rest on the stove top to set the SugarVeil. Other times I just allow SugarVeil to set overnite at regular room conditions, which works for all but the very thin sheets of SugarVeil - they are ready sooner than overnite.

Anyway, please let me know if you need more info. What a fun project!

Regards,
Emily at SugarVeil
[email protected]

Starkie Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #24 of 42

Thanks for the info, Emily. I have purchase a pound of SugarVeil and the comb, and I hope to experiment sometime next week. The cake is for June 27, so everyone say a prayer for me that week!!! I'll post a picture when I'm done ~ or else I will post a "Why did this happen" post in the Cake Disasters forum! icon_smile.gif

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #25 of 42

We're rooting for you, Starkie - you've got 'a leg up' on this one! Best of luck, and looking forward to your photos. - Emily at SugarVeil

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #26 of 42

I can't wait to see this cake -- I'm sure it's going to be awesome!!!!!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #27 of 42

I can't wait for it either.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:07am
post #28 of 42

When I made the fishnet sheet with Sugarveil, it was ready within an hour....and the let over "strings" were wrapped around the base of the top tier...those started to dry verrrry quickly. When they finally do dry, they are very brittle.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1276082

Starkie Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:53pm
post #29 of 42

Here is the "first leg" of my lamp! icon_biggrin.gif Thought you guys might want to see some pix of it coming together. My hubby made the base for me ~ 14" wooden round base from Lowe's, then an 8" glued on top of that. a 1 1/2" dowel is drilled into the base and runs through the leg. There will be a 12" wooden round on the top of the dowel (attached by a wooden pin) to hold the cake on top. So far, the leg base is 2 feet tall!

Anyway, I think the initial RKT sculpting went well (it took 3 full batches of RKT!!). Hopefully the fondant overlay will go just as easily! Keep praying for me!!!

<Starkie>
LL

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #30 of 42

That looks soooo cool so far! I can't wait to see the finished cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%