Help With Fondant Letters

Decorating By ChiweenieChic Updated 19 May 2009 , 3:35pm by ChiweenieChic

ChiweenieChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiweenieChic Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a babyshower cake FOR TOMORROW and I have made the baby blocks that go around the pillars, but I am having a problem with the wilton fondant letters, specifically the 'B'. The fondant is sticking inside the 'B' and I have tried dipping it in cornstarch and crisco, and yet it still sticking inside. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix that, or another way to do letters that will look good on the blocks. I am running short on time.

Thanks for your help

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I haven't used Wilton cutters, but have you tried doing them using gumpaste or Tylose mixed in fondant? I never use fondant alone to do the letters.

If you have a clay gun/sugarcraft gun, you can use that to form the letters, Or get some letter designs from google and cut them by hand and stick them on the cake. I would use gumpaste or tylose mix fondant or 50/50 mix of fondant to make all these things.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 7

Try letting the fondant dry slightly before cutting out the letter B. I find that when I am doing cutouts it is easier if the fondant has set a bit before cutting. You can also wait a bit longer after the letter has been cut and use a very fine pair of scissors to cut the centre out.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 7

Roll out your fondant -
Rub a smidge of crisco on your fingers -
Rub gently and lightly over the fondant.
Let sit for a few minutes...3 or 4
Then cut out B.

Sometimes the fondant needs to stiffen just a little bit for it to pop out of the letter shape -
Hope this helps....works for me when i get *cranky letters that do not want to play nicely* icon_wink.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

jodilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodilee Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 7

Do you mean that you can't get the middle parts of the B out?? I just did some hand cut letters recently and I used an Exacto knife to cut them out. I also used another tool to "scrape" the edges of the letters to get the small bits and pieces off to make my edges smoother. This tool I actually bought for scrapbooking and it's used to puncture holes in paper. It has a handle like an exacto knife but at the end it is like a thick needle with a very pointy tip. Sorry I don't know what it is called. I also used 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste to make my letters so they were stronger and dried quicker.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 7

also try rubbing the surface the fondant is on with crisco only, then when you cut it out it should just stick to the mat or table let it dry a little then lift it up with a knife. hth
Kiley

ChiweenieChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiweenieChic Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 7

The whole letter is sticking, that makes sense to let it dry a little first. I will definetly try this. I knew I could get an answer here. Everyone here is so helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%