Bumpy Cakes

Decorating By txcarebear Updated 19 May 2009 , 11:18am by sweetjan

txcarebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txcarebear Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 6

Please who can help my cakes still look bumpy under the fondant, I tried cooling the cakes after i cover in buttercream and then laying the fondant, I also tried spraying the with water after cooling then laying the fondant and it still looks bumpy. How do get cakes to look so straight and level under the fondant. Any one who can help thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Txcarebear icon_cry.gif

5 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 6

Dam your buttercream between the layers. Also, I chill my cakes for overnight-24 hours to let them set up and firm up.

Use a fondant smoother.

Sugarshack has a great video on covering cakes in fondant: www.sugaredproductions.com, I think.

txcarebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txcarebear Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 6

Thnks!!! Next time I'll leave it overnight and see how it comes out. icon_smile.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 6

The only advice that worked for me was in the sugared productions/sugar shack fondant video. The main points for me were: dam your filling, crumbcoat with the bc instead of full layer and make your cake "perfect" before putting the fondant on. This dvd has made a huge difference, it's full of pointers and clear instruction. No more bulges for me icon_biggrin.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:13am
post #5 of 6

What did I learn from SZ's dvd. After cake has been torted, filled, crumb coated and settled....bend over and trim that cake again. The settling will make it bow and bulge. Trim it for a straight up and down even sides.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:18am
post #6 of 6

Just watached SZ's 'Fondant' DVD the other day. Wonderful!! It would be well worth your time to get it, and it will make a huge difference in your efforts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%