How To Make Mum Flower?

Decorating By gibbsbakery Updated 29 May 2009 , 9:24pm by -K8memphis

gibbsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbsbakery Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 7

How do u make the mum flower? I have finished course 2 Wilton, and still can't make a mum. I need someone to help. An instructional video reference is ideal, but I will take help in any form.

gibbsbakery

6 replies
buckysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckysue Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

The mums are a harder flower to perfect. I have learned that it is easier if you use stiff frosting instead of medium and once it starts getting hard sometimes it helps it you form it a little with your hands. I had to practice and then I eventually got them down. Hope this helps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 7

B'cream mums are fairly easy to do.
Using a flower nail pipe a small 1/2 ball mound on a wax paper sq glues (icing) to the flower nail. Tip 6-8 makes a good size mound.
Switch to tip 81. When you look at it it is either smiling (u) or frowning . Always work with it smilingicon_smile.gif Stick the tip just barely into the bottom of the mound and start squeezing while pulling it straight out at the same time. You want a petal only about 1/4" long. Go all around the mound like that keeping the petals as close together as possible - you don't want gaps. Once you have gone all around move up the mound (1/4") and do the same thing - piping out petals. Start this row between 2 of the bottom petals. This time, as you end the petal, pull the tip up slightly (giving the petal end a slight upward curve). Make one more row of petals - this time hold the tip up so the whole petal curves upward. By now you should have covered almost all of the mound - should have about a small pea size 'hole' at the top of the mound that does not have any petals. Switch to tip 3 and fill that hole with pulled upright strings.
I'm going to go make one and take step-by-step pix for ya icon_smile.gif I'll attach them when I finish a bit later.

gibbsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbsbakery Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 7

kakeladi:

Thankyou I looking forward to seeing the sequential pics.
gibbsbakery

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

I'll post the pix as soon as I can figure out why I can't d'load them from my cameraicon_sad.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 7

i think there is one on u-tube

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

B'cream mums are fairly easy to do.
Using a flower nail pipe a small 1/2 ball mound on a wax paper sq glues (icing) to the flower nail. Tip 6-8 makes a good size mound.
Switch to tip 81. When you look at it it is either smiling (u) or frowning . Always work with it smilingicon_smile.gif Stick the tip just barely into the bottom of the mound and start squeezing while pulling it straight out at the same time. You want a petal only about 1/4" long. Go all around the mound like that keeping the petals as close together as possible - you don't want gaps. Once you have gone all around move up the mound (1/4") and do the same thing - piping out petals. Start this row between 2 of the bottom petals. This time, as you end the petal, pull the tip up slightly (giving the petal end a slight upward curve). Make one more row of petals - this time hold the tip up so the whole petal curves upward. By now you should have covered almost all of the mound - should have about a small pea size 'hole' at the top of the mound that does not have any petals. Switch to tip 3 and fill that hole with pulled upright strings.
I'm going to go make one and take step-by-step pix for ya icon_smile.gif I'll attach them when I finish a bit later.

Perfect instructions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%